Which tree is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all
I wonder if anyone can identify this tree for me? It was planted about 11 years ago when we bought the house in our north facing garden here in Scotland.
We have been away previously and the gardener that my husband and I employed had cut the tree down thus the reason for it looking a bit shorter it is. I am not sure if it is a some kind of prunus or acer or Japanese maple but I wanted to know when to prune it as it is right on top of the beech hedging.
Here are the photos. Thank you so much.

pastedGraphic_2.png

Attachments

• 1652913839254.png
    1652913839254.png
    55.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 1652913839351.png
    1652913839351.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 5

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd go with Prunus, the leaves in front are the young beech hedging leaves.
If you could post a clearer closer picture of the leaves shown in the last picture it would help.
Also 521 kb thumbnails are difficult to make anything out on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would say Prunus rather than Acer. Are the leaves in the first picture from the hedge or the tree in question?
Morning all
I have just taken another pic from the tree. You are all absolutely right! The leaves in question are the beech hedging! I note that there are few white flowers that have finished. Would it be right to say it is okay to prune now and I need to prune at least a foot high away from the hedging! I normally apply some black antiseptic? paint on the thick branches. Is this the right way or unnecessary?
IMG_4340.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would say Prunus rather than Acer. Are the leaves in the first picture from the hedge or the tree in question?
Like others, you are correct.
When we came up north eight years ago, this eco-friendly house had five small trees planted by the developer. all survived bar one. this bark peeling prunus is one of my favourite.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Now is a fine time to prune and you can trim off whatever you don't want. DO NOT put anything on the cut s. This only seals in whatever spores might be there and keeps it too wet underneath. The tree will seal itself as well as it needs to be.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh dear! My husband helped me pruned this yesterday and trying to be clever, I sealed the cuts with a sealant by brushing it straight from the bottle. I will go out later to see if I can undo my work!
Thanks once again!
IMG_4342.jpg

Ask a Question