Which macro lens would be best?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last year at spring time I started taking photos in my garden. I am fascinated with macro images. The close up images people take of bees inside a flower for example. I would like to be able to take similar images. I have a Canon D50 and would like to get a macro lens to try taking some close up shots this year. Can anyone give me some advice on what lens would work best for the garden?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Last year at spring time I started taking photos in my garden. I am fascinated with macro images. The close up images people take of bees inside a flower for example. I would like to be able to take similar images. I have a Canon D50 and would like to get a macro lens to try taking some close up shots this year. Can anyone give me some advice on what lens would work best for the garden?

A macro lens is very specialized. If you are an all around photo nut like me; Then your best bet is buying a longer lens. I have a Nikon D5000 with a 55-300 mm lens attached. You can still get good close-ups with out being right on top of your subject. Granted it will never substitute a true macro, but the all around use of the lens far out weighs the cost of another lens sitting around in the camera bag. For an example, here are two shots taken with my 55-300 lens at roughly three feet away.
DSC_0014.JPG
DSC_0108.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a point and shoot camera, but it has a macro mode in it. When taking close up shot, I like to use this camera better than Nikon D3200 as I don't have a macro lens for it. Here is a photo of a bee that I took with my pocket camera.
Not Enough Yet.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have a point and shoot camera, but it has a macro mode in it. When taking close up shot, I like to use this camera better than Nikon D3200 as I don't have a macro lens for it. Here is a photo of a bee that I took with my pocket camera.View attachment 4434

That is beautiful! Talk about static cling. Your point and shoot takes a nice pic. What brand and model # is it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is beautiful! Talk about static cling. Your point and shoot takes a nice pic. What brand and model # is it?
I had the Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS19, and had so much fun with it for a couple of years. I just recently dropped it, and now the lens won't open. Looking to buy another one as soon as I can save some money. Right now, I am just using my iPhone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I had the Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS19, and had so much fun with it for a couple of years. I just recently dropped it, and now the lens won't open. Looking to buy another one as soon as I can save some money. Right now, I am just using my iPhone.

Thanks, I love my big camera, but there are times I'd like not to have it hanging around my neck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa

I'm assuming that your camera is actually a Canon 50D - a digital SLR with interchangeable lenses. What lenses do you already have? Depending how on how close you want to get, buying extension tubes like these is a cheaper option which may be all you need.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
You can use a reversing ring and an old cheap say..50mm lens and achieve some really nice macro images... but I will warn you that macro photography is a little different learning curve than "regular" photography the depth of field can be really challenging a first. It is also very addicting!!
I shoot a Sigma f/2.8 150mm APO DG HSM Macro lens on a Canon 450D XSi body.

Here's a couple of my macro images from that lens and body...

Entylia carinata larvae
IMG_5185_MACRO_07_10_12-copy.jpg

Sweat Bee loaded with pollen
0765_06_22_2011_zpsyqqrg3cd.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Kim, I have just been checking out your camera and the information I was reading says you have a macro adjustment on the dial. Have you made use of it or would you still prefer to buy a lens?

Two shots taken with the macro adjustment on my Canon 1100D. This first shot taken with a 250mm lens of a poppy in bud.
Papaver 'Patty's Plum' (2).JPG

This shot taken with a 50mm lens. An Oxalis complete with dust on leaves.
Oxalis 'Cupido' (3).JPG

Ask a Question