Which fertilizer is effective to grow grass?

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Can you please suggest me what should be the exact percentages of those chemicals?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Can you please suggest me what should be the exact percentages of those chemicals?
In Pakistan I doubt you can get organic fertilizers so chemicals will have to do. Here in Texas where it is hot and dry 19-5-9 is used a lot and works fine. 16-4-8 is also good. The main thing is to have a high first number. As far as I know there is no exact perfect number for grass or anything for that matter.

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I don't have exact list of those. someone suggest me to use liquid fertilizer 20-20-20. i have liquid fertilizer available 5-15-45. I have available NPK 23-23-23.
so what to do or i have to order something else for it or simply provide urea to it means nitrogen only

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't have exact list of those. someone suggest me to use liquid fertilizer 20-20-20. i have liquid fertilizer available 5-15-45. I have available NPK 23-23-23.
so what to do or i have to order something else for it or simply provide urea to it means nitrogen only
Liquid fertilizers do not last long. I would stay away from them. Grass needs nitrogen but it also needs P & K too, just not as much as nitrogen. The best fertilizers are natural, like composted chicken manure or cow manure. Or, for that matter just plain vegetative compost. Using those high nitrogen numbers is dangerous. You can burn the grass roots and kill it if not applied exactly right.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The best fertilizers are natural, like composted chicken manure or cow manure. Or, for that matter just plain vegetative compost. Using those high nitrogen numbers is dangerous.
I don't know how big the yard is, but if you can get a local coffee shop to save their used grounds for you, what about scattering them lightly around the yard? The nitrogen is not immediately plant available, but ought to help.
The sites I've looked at say that used coffee grounds have a NPK ratio of 2 - 0.3 - 0.3.

(It would also help to increase the worm activity, providing aeration for the soil and fertilizer in the form of worm poop.)

@Chuck, I'm asking as much as suggesting. :)

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I don't know how big the yard is, but if you can get a local coffee shop to save their used grounds for you, what about scattering them lightly around the yard? The nitrogen is not immediately plant available, but ought to help.
The sites I've looked at say that used coffee grounds have a NPK ratio of 2 - 0.3 - 0.3.

(It would also help to increase the worm activity, providing aeration for the soil and fertilizer in the form of worm poop.)

ahahaha. no no. your giving your best advice as much as you can. thankyou for your help. i will try to focus on giving it nitrogen in limited quantity upto its growth

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

Sure, that would help but I am under the impression Usman is wanting to do things a little more rapid. I just wish I knew more about what is available in Pakistan.

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ahahahaha. exactly Mr.chuck. this is in my nature i want the quick results apart from gardening too :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I had an impression that grass is sort of easy to grow, just flatten and harden soil. Throw some grass seeds or push some grass runner collected from grass patch (previous grown on planter), then connect sprinklers.

Spray insecticide once every month, and let the grass grow by itself. I really thought they don't need fertilizer, as they grow on surface. with little or no roots

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I had an impression that grass is sort of easy to grow, just flatten and harden soil. Throw some grass seeds or push some grass runner collected from grass patch (previous grown on planter), then connect sprinklers.

Spray insecticide once every month, and let the grass grow by itself. I really thought they don't need fertilizer, as they grow on surface. with little or no roots
Grass is easy to grow but the poster wanted green and lush grass. Without proper care grass will grow but will not be lush and green. It needs nutrition plus as you stated water. Turf grass will thin and brown out with compacted soil. It is prone to grubs and insects if not properly cared for. It will turn into a weed patch. So sure, you can throw out some seeds or plant sprigs but that will not make a beautiful lawn which the poster wants. IMO a beautiful lush green grass lawn is more trouble than it is worth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
What might be available in some quantity would be a high protein animal feed such as soybean meal, or perhaps something else is commonly used. There are slight variations, but when you divide the percentage of protein by the value 6 you arrive at the rough nitrogen value. Its is slow release and organic of course. The SBM here locally comes in 50lb bags, is 47% protein and costs 15usd.

Ask a Question