Where to go to find the seed you want?

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a particular seed or root of a certain plant. Where is the best place to shop for seeds or roots?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
It really depends on what you want. There are small nurseries/suppliers who specialize in certain types of plants, or are totally organic, or just have small amounts of unusual seeds.
For herbs, I like Artistic Gardens (ArtisticGardens.com), for general vegetable and flower seed Pinetree Seeds (superseeds.com) is very good, and for garlic I like Filaree Farms (filareefarm.com) but not knowing what you are looking for I really can't make any more suggestions.

Reaction score
If you have a local store that specializes in organic gardening, that is probably a good place to start. Getting organic seeds means you are avoiding all GMOs, which is a really big deal for me. I am GMO free to the best of my ability.

If you get heirloom plants you will be able to save your own seed for next year, which is ideal because plants adapt year after year to your climate and you may have better results in a few seasons than when you started.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The internet is such a blessed tool and you can find just about anything you want by just Googling it. Burbees is one of the more popular sites for finding seeds and starters, but there are many seed sellers out there. If you know the name of what you are looking for, you are sure to find it for sale somewhere.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I'm trying to find a particular seed or root of a certain plant. Where is the best place to shop for seeds or roots?
Have a look online and you might find what you are looking for otherwise you can go to a nursery and they will surely have what you are wanting.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It does seem that there are the most options online- if nothing else, you might find out more about the nurseries in your area and where to get things local, which is always good to have some info on. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Right now your best bet (to find a deal) would be to check out the clearance isles in Walmart and Target, and similar retailers. In most places, the last thing people are thinking about are planting seeds. If the seed you want is a rare type, or a vegetable or fruit not regularly grown, this might not help. When I wanted a specific subspecies of tomato, I had good luck on eBay. There are a lot of seed-sellers available there.

Ask a Question