Where to find reliable information about flowers and choose the closest to the truth?

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hi! I'm a flower beginner, currently I only have Kalanchoe blossfeldiana. Unfortunately, the longer I look for information about it on the Internet, the less they overlap. (Not only for this plant, but I will use it as example). I've already found out that it should stand in full sun, partial sun, partial shade. I understand the part that it will withstand all these conditions, BUT when it comes to watering and fertilizing, I came across:
1. Water when dry.
2. Water every week.
3. Water every 2 weeks.
4. Fertilize once a week.
5. Fertilize once every 2 weeks.
6. Fertilize once a month.
(All information on fertilization related to the flowering period.)
And I feel like it doesn't help at all. I could probably go with my feelings, but I wanted to have somewhat of basic clue about that plant and I still doesn't have one. So my question is: how to deal with it? Where to find information about plants and choose what can be considered closest to truth? Is there any website, like a database, that you would reccomend for that purpose that you trust?

Reaction score
Country
Austria
I don’t know about fertilizing, but I think that you need to water it when the soil is dry.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I share your frustration, I have tried using the RHS (Royal horticultural society) site in the past. I find their information is good, as it should be, but tends to be rather sparse. At least I feel I have an accurate start.

I grow a lot from seed, I find the information on seed packets is usually good. After all the seedsman wants you to have a good experience and come back, and he did grow the plant to get the seed.

Reaction score
Country
Poland
I share your frustration, I have tried using the RHS (Royal horticultural society) site in the past. I find their information is good, as it should be, but tends to be rather sparse. At least I feel I have an accurate start.

I grow a lot from seed, I find the information on seed packets is usually good. After all the seedsman wants you to have a good experience and come back, and he did grow the plant to get the seed.
I just checked that site and typed in kalanchoe. According to them it fits into partial shade which is confusing for me, because any other site says full sun or partial sun. I appreciate recomandation though, I'll give it a try I guess.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I suppose that 'Partial shade' and 'Partial sun' might be seen as two sides of the same coin, and I suppose that Dirt mechanic is right, The RHS is based on an offshore island next to the Atlantic, Poland is in the middle of a continent. We are going to have very different climates. Is there not a reputable national horticultural society in Poland or Germany you could consult?

Found this on line,
The Polish Society for Horticultural Science (PSHS) was established in 1987 on the initiative of the Polish Academy of Sciences in order to integrate a horticultural science community in Poland.
On that basis they look to be more than just a group of opinionated amateurs, the German one is much older.

Ask a Question