Where does the water come from?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
South Africa
As you all know it can take a lot of water to keep a garden in tip top condition. I currently use borehole water as I have been very blessed with a huge supply of underground water. I use a mixture of pop-up and free standing sprinklers.

So what type of irrigation do you use and where do you get the water for it?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Our irrigation comes from the watering cans I haul around the gardens, and the water comes from the three rain harvesting 250 gal. cubes and two 55 gal. barrels we have. One cube has an adapted spigot for a hose so we can run a hose out to the fruit trees instead of hauling 5 gal. buckets to them. I love that adaption for the hose!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Water for my plant comes straight from the main pipes of the city. I live in an area that doesn't offer ground water and other more suitable options so I do what I gotta do. I live in California so when it rains, we give thanks. I do have drums setup in a makeshift catchment area for rain water when we get it. It's not enough but, like I said, we do what we have to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
South Africa
What do you use to capture the rainwater. We have loads of rain here in Cape town and i would love to get even more sources of water. I want to start building a small pond. So that will need water year round and I don't want to use the ground water. Will the rain water be a good alternative to this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
When there is rain, we collect rainwater in big plastic drums for washing clothes and the extra water is used for irrigating the plants. But when there is no rain like now which is a hot summer, we have no choice but to use the tap water for the plants. And worse, the plants need watering twice a day otherwise their leaves wither and it's scary for us. During summer, it is customary for our water bill to double.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Serbia
I am from Serbia and we are at 49th place in the world according to freshwater on cu km. We have 162,2 cu km of freshwater and if you take the fact that we are 113th country by total area and most of the 48 countries above Serbia are bigger by area you will see that we really do not have any problems with water. If I put a metal pipe few meters in the ground in my backyard I will find some water. Our trouble is actually irrational behaviour because we do not have technical water. We use the same water for toilets and for taps. In theory you can drink from a toilet. Gardens enjoy in Serbia :)

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
There are many streams in my area and we are lucky to have a waterfront on such a stream. During the dry season, I use jerrycans to fetch water and take it uphill to irrigate the plants. This is good for exercise though it can be taxing. I also use water conservation techniques so that I don't have to water frequently during the dry season. Right now in April, we are having the long pains and are resting on our laurels.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I use water from my rain barrels for watering my gardens, I use city water only when I have too for the gardens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
City and rain water here; I have a 100 ft hose that reaches all my containers and vegetables when needed, though we usually get plenty of rain so I don't often water. Never water the lawn, it stays plenty green naturally.

Question for those who use rainwater catchment systems? ❓Any standing water is an invitation for millions of mosquitoes to show up and lay egg rafts. It's bad enough here with me eliminating standing water; I have a small pond and the goldfish take care of tbe egg rafts but it still attracts skeeters. How do you deal with that, or does this only work in areas that don't have a lot of mosquitoes?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
My first thought of an answer to your question, is GOD. Water comes from God.

We have a well at our house, and use that to water our gardens. Under our house is an
Artisan Spring, thus, it can almost never run dry. Knock wood.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
All my rain barrels have screens over the top and it stops mosquitoes from laying eggs.

I guess if the screen is fine enough it doesn't attract them then. Even though the egg rafts don't make it to larvae in my pond the presence of still water (no pump or fountain) draws them like, uh, flies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The trick to keeping them out is using extra fine screening, I even put one on the over flow out let.

Ask a Question