Where do you get your herb plants?

Discussion in 'Herbs' started by KimmyMarkks, Dec 15, 2015.

1. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkks

How do you typically get your herbs? Do you grow them from seeds or buy the plants as is? In the colder months I usually buy them from the local super market. In the summer time I love buying them from farmer’s markets.

KimmyMarkks, Dec 15, 2015
    alp likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. KimmyMarkks

claudine

I buy my herbs from the local super market too:) There are always many of them there and they're very inexpensive:D

claudine, Dec 15, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. KimmyMarkks

Greenhorn

Seeds, but I must admit on rare occasion when Pesto calls and I have none a Basil plant from the supermarket.

Greenhorn, Dec 15, 2015
  4. KimmyMarkks

Corzhens

This is not to brag but our herbs are given to us by friends. Those herbs that come in small plastic pots are gift items here and some of our friends, knowing we love gardening, gift us with such plants. We had ashitaba and oregano and basil, all given to us. The only herb that we bought is the mint that is planted in the planter box in our front yard.

Corzhens, Dec 15, 2015
  5. KimmyMarkks

majorcatfish

there has been a gentlemen down at the farmers market the last couple years that always have what we are looking for, last spring oregano dw has always told me that i have a green thumb
    DSC_0003.JPG

majorcatfish, Dec 15, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  6. KimmyMarkks

amelia88

I get mine from my local outdoors store, which has a variety of different plants, not just herbs. I've also been lucky enough to get some things from my neighbor - she's a keen herb grower, and when her plants get too big she likes to separate them and share the love with the rest of our neighborhood so we can grow our own, too!

amelia88, Dec 16, 2015
  7. KimmyMarkks

IcyBC

I usually got mine from Meijer, or Home Depot but I grow cilantro from the seeds I have collected. It is very easy to grow. Sometimes I got lucky and get the sweet basil seeds too if we didn't eat them all before they flowers.

IcyBC, Dec 16, 2015
  8. KimmyMarkks

Trellum

I prefer to get mine from plant centers, there are many big ones in the Netherlands, I'd never have the patience to grow mine from seed, so I buy adult plants and search for a way to propagate them :) Sometimes if I am lucky someone gives me a cutting, that I then plant in a starter pot hoping for the best. I am actually going to do that with lavender.

Trellum, Dec 16, 2015
  9. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkks

We have nurseries but I feel like they are mostly open during the warmer months.

A lot of times the local grocey store has great deals on herbs but other times I feel like the plants look like they are near death. Trader joes and whole foods always have great looking herbs but many times their selection is limited.

KimmyMarkks, Dec 17, 2015
  10. KimmyMarkks

NicoleM

If I have a need for fresh herbs asap, I will buy from my local grocery store. But to grow, I prefer to grow from the seed. I can watch it grow and transform which is so interesting to me, and makes me excited that I am creating something I will and love to use.

NicoleM, Dec 17, 2015
  11. KimmyMarkks

marlingardener

Our local grocery is heavy on cilantro, and that's about it! I grow my own, mostly from seed, but occasionally I'll find a lonely herb or two at a nursery. Over the years we've built a nice collection of herbs--nothing spectacular or terribly unusual, but ones that we use frequently in cooking, making herbal vinegars, and even adding to bouquets to give some scent.

marlingardener, Dec 17, 2015
  12. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkks

Wow it must be a location thing! I feel like in my area the stores rarely have cilantro. When they do it is usually 1 or 2 plants and they don't look very healthy. On the other hand we have so much Rosemary and Basil. I have an easier time finding Cilantro at local farmers markets in the summer time.

KimmyMarkks, Dec 18, 2015
  13. KimmyMarkks

Esther Knapicius

from a local nursery.

Esther Knapicius, Dec 18, 2015
  14. KimmyMarkks

Trellum

Over here we don't have trader joes, but I have noticed that gardening stores is something that over here is really abundant :O I was also expecting to see plants in a bad state when I first visited one of those stores during winter, but actually they all looked great. I think the Dutch are really dedicated to their gardens.

Trellum, Dec 25, 2015
  15. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkks

Oh wow that's good to know. Yes I know Trader Joes isn't everywhere. I think it is just an east coast thing (if I'm not mistaken). A lot of earthy, whole food stores have great herb plants too. Surprisingly they aren't too expensive either.

KimmyMarkks, Dec 25, 2015
  16. KimmyMarkks

Trellum

Yes if you ever come you should visit those gardening center, I had never been to a garden center like those before :O I think this is seen more in the North of the Netherlands more than in other parts of the country. But really, I had never seen garden centers with so many plants and garden decorations (plus other things). I think Dutch people are really fond of gardening :p

Trellum, Dec 26, 2015
  17. KimmyMarkks

Silentrunning

I grow everything except Rosemary from seed. I never could get Rosemary to germinate so I bought a large plant and have it in a container. It is close to being a Rosemary tree now.

Silentrunning, Oct 13, 2017
  18. KimmyMarkks

alp

Raised my parsley, coriander, lavender from seeds. Rosemary bought as a plant from store reduction. I never go to market in the town centre as we are not allowed to touch anything in a bowl and most things are sold in a bowl. I don't like the hassle of being told off in a market. Most of the herbs are raised from seeds. I also bought basil which I always end up seeing dying or being covered by bugs.

alp, Oct 13, 2017
  19. KimmyMarkks

alex1992ccc

Most of mine, I mass cloned from a single tiny shoot that I pinch off a plant at Lowe's haha..

alex1992ccc, Aug 4, 2018
  20. KimmyMarkks

Captain Belly

I usually start with seed and let the ones that seed themselves do it. For example... I like to sew seeds under and along the lowest barbed wire on my fence. This way, it doesn't get hit by the mower, and it's low maintenance. When I need a head start on a plant in order to catch up to a vegetable that it's going with, then I'll buy a plant at the local big box store.

Captain Belly, Sep 3, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question