Where do you get your herb plants?

Reaction score
Country
United States
How do you typically get your herbs? Do you grow them from seeds or buy the plants as is? In the colder months I usually buy them from the local super market. In the summer time I love buying them from farmer’s markets.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I buy my herbs from the local super market too:) There are always many of them there and they're very inexpensive:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Seeds, but I must admit on rare occasion when Pesto calls and I have none a Basil plant from the supermarket.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
This is not to brag but our herbs are given to us by friends. Those herbs that come in small plastic pots are gift items here and some of our friends, knowing we love gardening, gift us with such plants. We had ashitaba and oregano and basil, all given to us. The only herb that we bought is the mint that is planted in the planter box in our front yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
there has been a gentlemen down at the farmers market the last couple years that always have what we are looking for, last spring oregano dw has always told me that i have a green thumb
DSC_0003.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I get mine from my local outdoors store, which has a variety of different plants, not just herbs. I've also been lucky enough to get some things from my neighbor - she's a keen herb grower, and when her plants get too big she likes to separate them and share the love with the rest of our neighborhood so we can grow our own, too!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I usually got mine from Meijer, or Home Depot but I grow cilantro from the seeds I have collected. It is very easy to grow. Sometimes I got lucky and get the sweet basil seeds too if we didn't eat them all before they flowers.

Reaction score
I prefer to get mine from plant centers, there are many big ones in the Netherlands, I'd never have the patience to grow mine from seed, so I buy adult plants and search for a way to propagate them :) Sometimes if I am lucky someone gives me a cutting, that I then plant in a starter pot hoping for the best. I am actually going to do that with lavender.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have nurseries but I feel like they are mostly open during the warmer months.

A lot of times the local grocey store has great deals on herbs but other times I feel like the plants look like they are near death. Trader joes and whole foods always have great looking herbs but many times their selection is limited.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
If I have a need for fresh herbs asap, I will buy from my local grocery store. But to grow, I prefer to grow from the seed. I can watch it grow and transform which is so interesting to me, and makes me excited that I am creating something I will and love to use.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Our local grocery is heavy on cilantro, and that's about it! I grow my own, mostly from seed, but occasionally I'll find a lonely herb or two at a nursery. Over the years we've built a nice collection of herbs--nothing spectacular or terribly unusual, but ones that we use frequently in cooking, making herbal vinegars, and even adding to bouquets to give some scent.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Our local grocery is heavy on cilantro, and that's about it! I grow my own, mostly from seed, but occasionally I'll find a lonely herb or two at a nursery. Over the years we've built a nice collection of herbs--nothing spectacular or terribly unusual, but ones that we use frequently in cooking, making herbal vinegars, and even adding to bouquets to give some scent.
Wow it must be a location thing! I feel like in my area the stores rarely have cilantro. When they do it is usually 1 or 2 plants and they don't look very healthy. On the other hand we have so much Rosemary and Basil. I have an easier time finding Cilantro at local farmers markets in the summer time.

Reaction score
We have nurseries but I feel like they are mostly open during the warmer months.

A lot of times the local grocey store has great deals on herbs but other times I feel like the plants look like they are near death. Trader joes and whole foods always have great looking herbs but many times their selection is limited.

Over here we don't have trader joes, but I have noticed that gardening stores is something that over here is really abundant :O I was also expecting to see plants in a bad state when I first visited one of those stores during winter, but actually they all looked great. I think the Dutch are really dedicated to their gardens.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Over here we don't have trader joes, but I have noticed that gardening stores is something that over here is really abundant :O I was also expecting to see plants in a bad state when I first visited one of those stores during winter, but actually they all looked great. I think the Dutch are really dedicated to their gardens.
Oh wow that's good to know. Yes I know Trader Joes isn't everywhere. I think it is just an east coast thing (if I'm not mistaken). A lot of earthy, whole food stores have great herb plants too. Surprisingly they aren't too expensive either.

Ask a Question