Where do the nutrients in compost come from?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am relatively new to the concept of composting and was just curious as to how the whole process works. This may sound like a silly question, but what I really want to know is where exactly are the nutrients? Is it in the decay itself or in the process of decaying?

Reaction score
According to my chemistry teacher some years back, the bacteria eat the plants ad grow and multiply, Some types of bacteria also eat some of the nitrogen in the air. The nutrients in the plants become part of the bacteria, as does the nitrogen.

The rain then washes the bacteria into the soil, and when the bacteria eventually die they leave the nutrients in the soil where the bacteria were. The nutrients and the nitrogen are pretty much the same as the fertilizer that most of us add.

In a nutshell, the nutrients from the plants become part of the bacteria, the nutrients in the bacteria become part of the soil, and the nutrients in the soil become part of the next generation of plants, and then the plants die and are eaten by bacteria, and the cycle begins again. At least that was my understanding.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am relatively new to the concept of composting and was just curious as to how the whole process works. This may sound like a silly question, but what I really want to know is where exactly are the nutrients? Is it in the decay itself or in the process of decaying?
The nutrients are locked up in the organic matter. Bacteria, fungi and other micro-organisms break down the organic matter releasing the nutrients so our tomato plants can uptake them

Ask a Question