Where do I keep tomatoes?

Reaction score
Country
United States
New at this! Wondering where should I keep my tomato seedlings while waiting to plant them outdoors? What does everyone do? Do they need to be kept under lights? Outside and indoors at night? So many questions, any advice is welcome :)

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
You need somewhere that is light, like a windowsill. Wherever they are they need turning every day so that they don't lean to the light and fall over.
Don't know about grow lights because got nowhere to put them and expensive.
Here's a video

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
New at this! Wondering where should I keep my tomato seedlings while waiting to plant them outdoors? What does everyone do? Do they need to be kept under lights? Outside and indoors at night? So many questions, any advice is welcome :)
If temperatures fall below 50F bring them inside as any temperature below this will slow growth or damage the plant. Just put in the sunniest location inside your house. I normally wait until, at least, the first set of true leaves to form before moving them outside. Do not fertilize seedlings until at least the first set of true leaves have formed and then fertilize at 1/4-1/2 the recommended rate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
my good neighbor who always gives me tomato plants has it set up in his basement. a grow light layering shelves. whatever he does, year after year it works. I can see the grow light coming out of his basement window at night. Right now, I am guessing he has begun the process. I will again add, I don't really do a veggie garden. these plants go in big pots that are positioned in what little sun my property has as we have tall trees. And to add, with lots of Amish around and the two of us we are good with veggies.

Ask a Question