When to top tomatoes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. First proper year of growing tomatoes and it was looking good at the start but now summer is coming to an end(looks to have already ended where i am outside London, no sun forecast for the next 2 weeks), is it worth topping the tomatoes now so it can focus on ripening what's there? As you can see the majority are still green, although they are starting to turn.

I have cherry tomato plants which have ripened, but these ones are struggling. They were the only seeds i could get during early lockdown and can't say we've had much of a summer barring the last couple weeks.

IMG_20200815_191918.jpg
IMG_20200815_192342.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What a fantastic crop Andrew. We reckon (Zigs and I) that you should leave them alone and just let them ripen - now they have started they will all get on with it. We were picking our tomatoes last year well into autumn. The sun will shine again, but if you`re in a rush, Zigs said you could drape a few banana skins over them to hurry them up.

Ask a Question