When to sew carrots for winter storage?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
This year I sewed my maincrop carrots at the end of March and they were ready for harvest in late July. I had loads and most were given to the horses as they weren't keeping well.

The Previous year I sewed them mid June to be ready mid October and they didn't get big enough in time.
What I'm trying to achieve is a steady stream of little early carrots to eat through the summer (I have Nantes 2 seeds), but a big harvest of large carrots to store for over winter use (Resistafly). Thus far, attempts at storing carrots doesn't go well - they go soft within a week.

Any advice anyone?

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would sow main crop carrot April/May.
Storage:
1) Leave in the ground and cover with straw or other insulating material, then lift as required.
2) Lift, remove tops and store in boxes of sand in frost free cool area.
3) Lift remove tops and store in a clamp like potatoes and some other root crops.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I would sow main crop carrot April/May.
Storage:
1) Leave in the ground and cover with straw or other insulating material, then lift as required.
2) Lift, remove tops and store in boxes of sand in frost free cool area.
3) Lift remove tops and store in a clamp like potatoes and some other root crops.
So there's no draw back in just leaving them to keep growing for as long as they want? I guess I'm a bit squeamish about creepy crawlies and because of that my default setting is to harvest ASAP when the soil is warm and dry? But I'm in Scotland where the only real issue we have is slugs.

BTW - I can't go in and edit my post, but I keep getting told off for writing 'sew' instead of 'sow'!!! (Can't spell for toffee and the spell checker lets me down sometimes!!)

Ask a Question