When to replant red onion seedlings??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I planted red onion seeds 2 weeks ago and used a heated propergator. They now look like the attached-like grass. When am I supposed to transplant into larger pots???

Same really with the chilli pepper seeds, again 2 weeks old and sprouting (pic also attached), no idea when to replant to larger pot and if I need to remove them from the propergator???

Any help or advice welcome! Never grown either before, or had a propergator!

Vicy
IMG_20220403_171608.jpg
IMG_20220403_171608.jpg
IMG_20220403_171631.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
With the peppers wait until they have at least one set of true leaves, preferably 2 or 3 sets. Same with the onions. Onions should have been planted from seed back in Oct or Nov. and transplanted out as soon as the soil was workable. I don't know your climate but here in Texas we plant seeds mid Oct and transplant into the ground usually around 1 Feb. Keep all of the young seedlings warm and they must have light, either bright natural sunlight or under artificial grow lights.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wow Texas!

I'm in the UK, my seed packs have advised to plant in March-April indoors and plant out in late May-June. I don't have a garden with grass or earth, just concrete so I have a large 400ltr grow bag for when stuff is big enough and the last frost has passed!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow Texas!

I'm in the UK, my seed packs have advised to plant in March-April indoors and plant out in late May-June. I don't have a garden with grass or earth, just concrete so I have a large 400ltr grow bag for when stuff is big enough and the last frost has passed!
They really should have true leaves but not knowing your climate I have to say that it would be better to hear from someone there who does know the climate. Perhaps @headfullofbees will respond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
USA is far better for growing short-day onions, which they sow in Autumn as Chuck says.
We in the UK are, on the whole, luckier, in that we can grow these (especially further South) or spring sown onions, which is what you have Vicy.
These seedlings look quite good, & you can transplant them into bigger pots once they have another leaf.
As for planting them out, I tend not to bother with the pack, & plant them out when they are six-eight inches tall, unless thy are particularly weedy and stretched.
I've got mine outside during the days now hardening off, & they'll go into raised bed in another week or so.
I grow "Red Baron" every year, & I find them reliable, tasty & store well (I still have 30 left from August harvest)

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Here's my red onions currently which will be ready to harvest in about 5 more weeks or so. They were set out last Nov.

Onions are very "local", that is planting/harvesting varies considerably depending on location.

red onions.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Here's my red onions currently which will be ready to harvest in about 5 more weeks or so. They were set out last Nov.

Onions are very "local", that is planting/harvesting varies considerably depending on location.

View attachment 88907
That's what I meant.
If your onions are ready in approx 5 weeks, that means they are either short, or intermediate, day onions.
They look excellent already.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the UK, my seed packs have advised to plant in March-April indoors and plant out in late May-June
The information on the seed pack is usually worth following, after all the seedsman wants you to have a good experience and come back. My only caveat to that is that they sometimes miss things out; like I have never seen them advise soaking peas overnight before planting, but the advice they do give is usually good.
Concrete can get pretty cold, worth finding an old pallet to put your grow bags on, or failing that even a layer of cardboard under them can help. Plants don't like cold or wet feet on the whole.

Ask a Question