When to harvest these onions?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I planted these onions at the end of this past summer and they have made it through 3 freezing days. How do I know when to harvest then? I'm in Southeast Coastal Georgia, zone 8b. There's also some leek leaves in the picture.
onion I.JPG
onion II.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You can harvest for green onions now. Onions bulb because of day length. I don't know if your varieties are long day or short day onions but long day onions take a daylength of about 16 hours and short day onions take about 12 hours to form bulbs. You can tell when an onion is ready for harvest when the tops fall over. BTW, each "leaf" on an onion plant equals one layer of an onion so yours has a long way to go. If they are bunching onions the way to tell when to harvest is that the tops are at least 12-14 inches tall which normally takes about 2 - 3 months.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Onions can be harvested when their tops turn yellow and begin to fall over. If you pull them out of the ground and the neck is still white, give them a few more days. The onions should be harvested when the tops have withered and the neck has dried and turned brown. If the weather is dry, onions can be left in the ground until you're ready to use them.

Ask a Question