when to harvest lemongrass?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
How do you know when to harvest lemongrass please? Is there a season time frame to harvest like plant beginning of summer and harvest end of summer, something like that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How do you know when to harvest lemongrass please? Is there a season time frame to harvest like plant beginning of summer and harvest end of summer, something like that.
Where you live there is no particular time to harvest lemongrass. Just cut it off at ground level when it is about a foot tall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
They are taller than 1 foot from root to the top of the leaves several times before already. Whenever I see the leaves get tall then I cut the leaves short since I don't use them so they focus the energy on the root. I did that several times now so the leaves are shorter than 1 foot now. I guess I can harvest them now

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You looking to harvest the stalks above the roots? I just cut them right above the soil level with scissors as needed fresh. My lemongrass plant is now a year and a half old and tolerates this periodic pruning with zero ill effects. Zone 10, you could potentially keep it alive all year and let it over winter rather than doing one massive harvest necissitating destroying the plant.

Ask a Question