When to Harvest Garlic?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi,
I have planted garlic in October and the stems seem pretty ready to harvest. I read that they should be harvested when the stem becomes brown half way. Is this true? Is my garlic ready to harvest? I've attached a picture :)

Attachments

• 20160315_190853.jpg
    20160315_190853.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 295
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I really don't remember when we harvested our few garlic in the backyard. But I know that the stem is the indicator according to a friend from the northern region where garlic is the main crop. Your garlic in the picture looks very healthy so I guess you will have to wait for some months before the leaves wilt and become brown.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thank you, Corzhens! :)
The tips have become just a tiny bit browner, I'm guessing they will be ready to harvest around May?:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
We plant garlic during the fall and harvest in the early spring. The harvest time is just about 90 days from planting. We grow garlic enough for the family for the entire year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We are in Missouri zone 6 and plant in September and harvest in late June. There will be little green left and the plant will look almost dead when ready. Depending on the type of garlic, it may 'flower' first by sending a 'scape' up through the middle of the plant. Break these off and sauté mmmm

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Where do you live in Canada? I am in zone 5 and now harvest at the end of August when the bulbs start to split open. My new system determined from much experience. I plant in October.

This was a bit too early.
http://www.durgan.org/2015/August%202015/2%20August%202015%20Garlic%20Harvested/HTML/ 2 August 2015 Garlic Harvested
About 80 bulbs of garlic was harvested. The seed scapes were removed which is usually done earlier. I don't utilize the scapes since I do not enjoy them due to being a bit tough.The bulbs were hung in the shed to dry duration for about three weeks then will be trimmed for storage. Eight bulbs were left in the ground so the seed pods can mature. They are covered with gauze to contain the seeds, since they disperse when ripe rather quickly. The seeds are called bulbils which are small clones of the bulb in the ground.

http://www.durgan.org/2015/August%202015/30%20August%202015%20Garlic%20Bulbil%20collection/HTML/ 30 August 2015 Garlic Bulbil collection
Three garlic plants were left in the ground to mature to produce bulbils. The bulbs lose their protective skin if left in the ground. It is excellent garlic with fat loves. Shelf life is the same as those harvested earlier. Henceforth this will be my method of harvesting. They would make excellent seed garlic due to the full growth size. The mature Bulbils were protected from dispersal by covering with a gauze. When the cluster dries the seeds fall in a short time if not contained. There is a large number of bulbils in each scape cluster. Some of the bulbils will be planted to produce rounds in 2016. The purpose is to eventually to grow all the garlic from bulbils instead of using cloves from the current crop. Sequence takes three years, bulbils, rounds, few cloves, then full normal harvest.
dsc_809830%20august%202015%20garlic%20bulbils_std.jpg

Ask a Question