When The Weather Does Not Cooperate

Reaction score
Last year lots of gardens were not successful due to heavy rains here in NC. We only had a few tomato plants ourselves because our garden spot was so wet for most of the season. Our state has has terrible weather this past week. It was 9 degrees on Tuesday with a windchill of -13 degrees and Saturday is going to be around 68 degrees and raining. Can you say crazy weather flip flopping? I am really starting to wonder if this is going to be a new trend? Is the weather going to start deterring us from planting a viable garden and if that is the case how can we work around it? To me the answer is

hydroponics
aquaponics
greenhouses

Those are the only solutions I see for horrible weather patterns and such. Can anyone add to the list?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
In my area, it's still pretty warm, but definitely not warm enough to work in a garden. I don't have a greenhouse, so for now, I focus on mine and my mother's houseplants. She has many of them, so I know I won't get bored:p
I miss my miniature roses though!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I can certainly see things like windbreaks & clotches becoming more widespread. Got plans to get a polytunnel when I get settled again.

And yes, growing indoors with lighting is looking good too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Am collecting materials for some sort of covered gardening bed. Hopefully this summer I will put together some sort of cold frame/green house.:) I used to garden year around, but with hard freezes with no snow cover cauliflower, broccoli, chard and kale varieties have frozen out the last three years. :confused: Wet cool summers and neighboring evergreens have added to the mix. I am sure glad I don't have to rely on what I grow to fill the pantry.o_O

Reaction score
Wow, that is some crazy weather. To go from that cold to warm like that... jeez. It has been freezing here and there is a lot of snow, so I just grow some plants outside. I only put plants on my balcony in the spring and the summer because those are the only times the weather permits.

Reaction score
Last year lots of gardens were not successful due to heavy rains here in NC. We only had a few tomato plants ourselves because our garden spot was so wet for most of the season. Our state has has terrible weather this past week. It was 9 degrees on Tuesday with a windchill of -13 degrees and Saturday is going to be around 68 degrees and raining. Can you say crazy weather flip flopping? I am really starting to wonder if this is going to be a new trend? Is the weather going to start deterring us from planting a viable garden and if that is the case how can we work around it? To me the answer is

hydroponics
aquaponics
greenhouses

Those are the only solutions I see for horrible weather patterns and such. Can anyone add to the list?
It has been a wacky and generally wicked week for us in Connecticut as well. We had a fifty degree(F) day and by the evening we had dropped to zero and the windchill was down to minus 15 to minus twenty. Its been warming up so today its fifty but cold due to a chilly rain. Luckily I live in southern New England and not in the Midwest where it has been minus fifty with the windchill.

Reaction score
In my area, it's still pretty warm, but definitely not warm enough to work in a garden. I don't have a greenhouse, so for now, I focus on mine and my mother's houseplants. She has many of them, so I know I won't get bored:p
I miss my miniature roses though!

Ahh yes and I almost envy you for all of those houseplants! I bet you do miss the roses. Don't worry the season is almost upon us again.

I can certainly see things like windbreaks & clotches becoming more widespread. Got plans to get a polytunnel when I get settled again.

And yes, growing indoors with lighting is looking good too.

That is for certain zigs. I hope that this Spring and Summer we don't get rained out again. I don't want another drought but I don't want more flooding either.

Am collecting materials for some sort of covered gardening bed. Hopefully this summer I will put together some sort of cold frame/green house.:) I used to garden year around, but with hard freezes with no snow cover cauliflower, broccoli, chard and kale varieties have frozen out the last three years. :confused: Wet cool summers and neighboring evergreens have added to the mix. I am sure glad I don't have to rely on what I grow to fill the pantry.o_O

LOL you hit the nail on the head Jewell..... we are fortunate that we don't have to rely on the garden for the pantry. Good luck with that covered bed!

Wow, that is some crazy weather. To go from that cold to warm like that... jeez. It has been freezing here and there is a lot of snow, so I just grow some plants outside. I only put plants on my balcony in the spring and the summer because those are the only times the weather permits.

Yep very crazy weather! We had the tomatoes in containers and out in the flower bed in the front yard last year. I am hoping that it will be better this year!

It has been a wacky and generally wicked week for us in Connecticut as well. We had a fifty degree(F) day and by the evening we had dropped to zero and the windchill was down to minus 15 to minus twenty. Its been warming up so today its fifty but cold due to a chilly rain. Luckily I live in southern New England and not in the Midwest where it has been minus fifty with the windchill.

I would not want to live out in the Midwest with that cold either firelily99. That was a huge drop from 50 to 0 within one day. I thought we had it bad but you got it worse. I guess our weather is just really screwed up now. Time for better planning for the next wacky weather season.

Ask a Question