When Should I Plant Grass?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5a
Country
United States
Well I did it. I cleared out my old garden and built a raised garden bed this year. I am happy about it and I think it'll get more sun in the area it is in now. Now I need to plant grass where my old garden used to be. I live in Wisconsin. What is the best time of the year to plant new grass? Last time I threw some seed down and it didn't grow as I had expected it to. I think I was supposed to rake it all in at first. Anyways, when is a good time where it's not too cold to start growing the grass?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I take it you mean a lawn Dashboard? I don't know your growing conditions in Wisconsin but grass seed needs a minimum temperature of 12C/53F to germinate. When you lay the seed either rake it in or cover lightly with more soil or compost then firm it all down. It's best to put down some extra as birds will take some. Water it every day unless it rains until it's fully grown, but be careful not to wash the seed out of the soil.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Sorry, I'm not with you deepestblues? :confused:
I think she's referring to another post about growing marijuana!!

As far as grass, I think that it's best to plant either in spring or in the fall. Grass seedlings don't do well in high heat or dry conditions. As @Sheal said, broadcast the seeds, cover lightly or rake in, then cover with a thin layer of straw (make sure you get straw and not hay since hay has weed seeds in it). Then you have to keep it moist, water every day with a light stream of water. You don't want it to wash away. If you have a hot, sunny day, you may need to water twice. You don't want the soil to dry out completely.

Also, make sure that the grass has a good hold before mowing. Growing grass from seed can be labor intensive, but if you've prepared the ground ahead of time and removed all the weeds, you will be rewarded with a beautiful lawn.

When selecting seed, make sure you get one that fits your conditions. I would ask at the store what grows best in your area, and in your sun conditions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh right, I'm with you now.:) I've been reading the other thread, I've found it quite interesting.

Galmal I've not heard of laying straw on grass seed before, what is gained from doing this please?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh right, I'm with you now.:) I've been reading the other thread, I've found it quite interesting.

Galmal I've not heard of laying straw on grass seed before, what is gained from doing this please?

It's like putting mulch on flower beds. It helps to keep the soil moist. Also, it confounds the birds and makes them work harder to get at the seeds! ;) It also helps to keep the seeds in place when watering, they don't wash away as easily. As the grass grows up through the straw, you won't be able to see it and it will evidently decompose and provide some nutrients. You don't need to worry about raking it up.

The layer of straw should be very light - you don't want the grass seed to have to work too hard coming up. What I do is take out a "flake" of straw (the natural division of straw in a bale), hold on to it and shake it out, so that the straw "snows" on top of the ground. This leaves a nice thin layer.

WARNING: Make sure you get straw, and not hay. While they look very similar when they're in a bale, they are two completely, different things. Straw is the stalks of plants (usually wheat) after the grain and chaff have been removed. Hay, on the other hand, is just where a grass field, complete with lots of weeds, has been cut and dried. It contains tons of seeds. So, straw is the equivalent of being sterile, while hay will grow you a lovely lawn full of weeds.

Flakes of straw
straw3 (640x476).jpg

When you first apply the straw
straw 1.jpg

When the grass first emerges
straw 2.jpg

When the grass has taken hold
straw.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
It's a great idea and it obviously works but I would imagine only in sheltered areas. :) For me in particular it would be pointless as the wind would blow it away.

Ask a Question