When is it time to prune?

Reaction score
How do you know when the best time to prune your fruit trees is? I have four apple trees that need some maintenance and I am wondering if you wait until the last moment before they come out of dormancy for the spring or do you do it now while they are still dormant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I was told that the best time to prune apple trees is when they're dormant. My parents prune our tree in January. It always produces a lot of fruits:)

Reaction score
Generally pruning is best done when the tree is dormant. Its better for the tree and its easier to cut through the limbs. I usually do my pruning in the fall after a frost or two, once the leaves are down I'm at it. I haven't killed a tree yet doing it that way.

Reaction score
Although most fruit trees or any type of tree for that matter are best pruned when the trees are dormant.

The best time to prune a fruit tree - is considered to be during the late dormant stage - just before it begins active growth again - which is normally around late winter to early spring - which is also the time when I do all of mine :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
If you prune certain fruit trees in winter, you are asking for trouble:
e.g. plum trees should be pruned in June.
Some other trees fruit better if you prune them immediately after fruiting, & sweet cherry trees should be pruned in August to minimize the chance of bacterial canker

Reaction score
:oops: done it again - so thank you headfullofbees - as I must have been half asleep or having another one of those mental blocks - because for some reason or another - when responding my mind was solely focused on apple trees o_O and being the owner of a large number of what are called " stone fruit " trees - realized that you are totally correct and in fact - it is actually recommended for all trees that bear stone fruits - to do the heavy pruning directly after fruiting - in order to minimize the chances of bacterial canker - to which they are all very prone to.

Last edited:

Ask a Question