When exactly is Fall?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Yes, we know the calendar date for it but when getting advice such as "divide in fall", "transplant only in the fall", are they talking about the calendar date/hours of daylight or when the day time temps fall below 70f or what?

We here in Canada sometimes get an "Indian Summer" which is nice blast of heat sandwiched between the beginning and end of fall and I am just wondering if this affects transplanting timing.

What is your opinion - temperatures or calendar?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, we know the calendar date for it but when getting advice such as "divide in fall", "transplant only in the fall", are they talking about the calendar date/hours of daylight or when the day time temps fall below 70f or what?

We here in Canada sometimes get an "Indian Summer" which is nice blast of heat sandwiched between the beginning and end of fall and I am just wondering if this affects transplanting timing.

What is your opinion - temperatures or calendar?
Temps....................at !east here anyway. Many years we don't even get one

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
When it comes to gardening I'd go with temperature Lori, either when the trees are dormant having dropped there leaves or when the first frost appears. Most plants are better moved at this time but there are exceptions to the rule of course. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When the temps start to drop below 55F at night I know its time to bring in potted plant that I want to save and cut back the peonies, the rest of the fall is cleaning up all the leaves in the yard. We haven't had a Indian summer for a few years now and I do miss them.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's when the car windows are suddenly covered in dew in the morning and spiders have got big enough to scare the Zigs
1yikestkt.gif
sofa.gif

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I try to plant or move plants around before October. Our average frost date is around mid-October here. I give the plants some time to settle in before any frost gets to them. I try to plan out when I think the last heat wave is and do it right after that. If I see a stretch of cooler weather in the forecast, I take advantage of it. I just did some fall planting yesterday.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The fall isn't here yet. Today, it's 25c, so it's really warm and nice. Unfortunately, I've caught a cold and have to lie in bed:( My miniature roses seem to think it's still summer. They grow like crazy;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Onion soup? Sounds good. Could you post the recipe here?:) I bought a lot of onions, because I plan to have baked onions and potatoes today:) Now I only need to find someone who will bake them for me, haha:D
You have such a lovely view:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Onion soup? Sounds good. Could you post the recipe here?:) I bought a lot of onions, because I plan to have baked onions and potatoes today:) Now I only need to find someone who will bake them for me, haha:D

I love onion soup! This is my favourite recipe: French Onion Soup (I don't bother with the croutons though)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom

I never use recipes, just lob as many onions as you can get into the pan, a whole blub of Garlic too, stock cube and some herbs, that should do it :)

Oh, you could brown the onions off by frying in butter first :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Becky and Zigs, thank you!:) I still feel very sick, so I'll definitely try to make onion soup today. It doesn't sound very complicated.
Do you think I can skip the stock cube? I'm a vegetarian on a gluten free diet, so it's really hard to find stock cubes I can consume;)

Ask a Question