When does pennyroyal come back?

Reaction score
Last year my mom had got us a pennyroyal plant (and one for herself too.) She got it for us as it is supposed to help with mosquito control and living on the river, we have mosquitoes! She was told that it will spread very easily, but neither one of ours has come back yet. She lives about 25 minutes away from me so the soil is not exactly the same and hers gets full sun where mine would not get full sun all day.

Wondering if it should be starting to grow soon or if the crazy weather we had last year hurt the plant. We had flooding and damaging winds with Hurricane Sandy last year. We also had a very hot summer. Hoping that it will grow again, our mosquito population in town was horrible last year!

Reaction score
Last year my mom had got us a pennyroyal plant (and one for herself too.) She got it for us as it is supposed to help with mosquito control and living on the river, we have mosquitoes! She was told that it will spread very easily, but neither one of ours has come back yet. She lives about 25 minutes away from me so the soil is not exactly the same and hers gets full sun where mine would not get full sun all day.

Wondering if it should be starting to grow soon or if the crazy weather we had last year hurt the plant. We had flooding and damaging winds with Hurricane Sandy last year. We also had a very hot summer. Hoping that it will grow again, our mosquito population in town was horrible last year!

Hello dconklin,

I wonder if it has to do with the zone in which you live. This could be possible because the temperatures vary per zone, some zones may be about the same, some colder in spring, some warmer, so that's why I say it may depend on your zone where you reside. For my zone, which is zone 7, I begin to see my perennials come back middle/late March, like my chives for instance, I began seeing those regrow in March, but we also sort of had a warm March, so again, it seems to depend on the temperatures and rain.

I must say thought, in another forum, I was talking about how much I love perennials because it certainly saves you some work when the growing season comes around. You just have to freshen them up a bit and move right along to those plants that need to be planted.

Reaction score
Hello dconklin,

I wonder if it has to do with the zone in which you live. This could be possible because the temperatures vary per zone, some zones may be about the same, some colder in spring, some warmer, so that's why I say it may depend on your zone where you reside. For my zone, which is zone 7, I begin to see my perennials come back middle/late March, like my chives for instance, I began seeing those regrow in March, but we also sort of had a warm March, so again, it seems to depend on the temperatures and rain.

I must say thought, in another forum, I was talking about how much I love perennials because it certainly saves you some work when the growing season comes around. You just have to freshen them up a bit and move right along to those plants that need to be planted.
My flowers have been up and my hyacinths bloomed a couple weeks ago. But the pennyroyal must be a bit different. I am hoping that it grows back, it got a bit too much water last fall from the Hurricane and then the wind blew around a lot.

Reaction score
I hope your pennyroyal comes back. Since pennyroyal is in the Mentha family they are usually strong and spread like crazy. If it doesn't come back I would suggest checking out the bountiful gardens and buying some seeds, that is where I got my seeds from. They are easy to grow from seed and grow quickly.. they do start out kind of small so be careful so be careful not to overwater or drown them.

Reaction score
I hope your pennyroyal comes back. Since pennyroyal is in the Mentha family they are usually strong and spread like crazy. If it doesn't come back I would suggest checking out the bountiful gardens and buying some seeds, that is where I got my seeds from. They are easy to grow from seed and grow quickly.. they do start out kind of small so be careful so be careful not to overwater or drown them.

Maybe they drowned this year before they had a chance to come up. We had so much rain in June that I thought I was going to lose my pepper plants too. Our river has been higher then average all summer so far too from all the rain. Of course that also means the mosquitoes are loving it here :(

Ask a Question