When do apple trees start growing apples?

Reaction score
Hi i just bought like 5 apple trees, and i would like to know when theyll have apples on them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
My parents have just planted an apple tree in their garden, I think they said it would be a few years before it is mature enough to bear fruit. It'll be worth the wait I'm sure :)

How have you planted them - like an orchard, or are you training them into a fan shape (espalier I think it's called) for easier picking?

Reaction score
Three years ago I planted a couple apple trees. These trees were pretty small when we planted them, if we would not have had a freeze real late this year we would have had a few apples from them. They are a decent size now so I know if the weather is better we will have a nice harvest next year. Hoping my peach and apricot and plum trees fruit as well. Next year could be good for me! It seems like forever when you first plant them, then before you know it you have fruit.

Reaction score
I know what it is like to wait for fruits from your trees.You would want them today.I used to go looking up my mango tree for a three years before the flowers actually turned into fruits, and boy where they tasty? I couldn't wait for the next year. Then we had way too much and had to find ways to use them.It wasn't so much fun back then, I was just a child and all those fruits meant work.. LOL :)

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Once when I attended a gardening class, I knew that apple trees come in different kinds (i.e. standard, dwarf, semi-dwarf) and I have learned that this is a factor affecting when it is going to bear fruits. As for the standard ones, it might take more than two years for it to yield fruit. It also depends on the climate condition and the type of soil you use.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Re-planting a tree will always set it back a year for fruiting it also depends on the age of the tree and the rootstock it came on. If you let me know the age of the trees you planted and the rootstock I will be able to give you an idea of when you should expect to get a good crop.

www.deaconsnurseryfruits.co.uk

Rub

Reaction score
Country
Azerbaijan
Hi i just bought like 5 apple trees, and i would like to know when theyll have apples on them!

It will take at least 5 years. The trees should adapt to the soil and its branches should become strong enough to hold apples. Are you sure that they are apple trees? My parents bought an apple tree and after 6 years we found out that it was a plum-tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It will take at least 5 years. The trees should adapt to the soil and its branches should become strong enough to hold apples. Are you sure that they are apple trees? My parents bought an apple tree and after 6 years we found out that it was a plum-tree.
Maybe the person who grew it grafted plum tree branches of the same age onto an apple rootstock? I mean, I have heard of people grafting trees in such a way that they will grow like for example apples and oranges on the same tree.

Ask a Question