Wheatgrass

Reaction score
My potted wheatgrass is yellowing. It has long daily periods of sunlight (as was suggested to me) and is watered ever other day. There have been rainstorms so I'm worried that my husband is watering it too often. But I'm also worried that it doesn't need so much sun. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
There is such a thing as over watering and chances are that its what is happening. When a plant is being over watered it is drowning and not getting enough oxygen. Watering every other day only makes the roots weaker and have more shallow growth.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Are you growing it indoors? Wheatgrass is just wheat seed. This is what I grow outside in the garden for my dogs. It needs lots of light, but if it has been inside hot sunny days could burn it sitting in the window. Growing outside plants indoors without grow lights can be tricky. Transitioning an inside plant outside is even trickier.

If it has been outside the entire time and is yellowing it could be overwatering or it could be the wheat is reaching the end of its life cycle. I always try to plant some wheat where the dogs can't get to it so I can harvest the wheat seeds. I cut them after they are dry and keep them over the winter in a vase (I think they are rather pretty). In the spring I plant them out again.
image.jpg
Here is Ciara eating some wheatgrass planted way to close to my bush beans. That's Max next to her.

Reaction score
Thank you both for your replies. (I especially like the picture of the dogs!) My potted wheatgrass is outdoors and because it's been raining lately, we haven't watered it. Before that, I think my husband was watering it every other day or maybe every three days. I'm not sure because I don't always notice. I'm wondering if maybe it's the end of its life cycle because we bought it matured, thick, and very lush already from a store and then we put it in a large pot so it could have breathing room and it's been outside for over a month now in mostly direct sunlight except for maybe 4 hours a day. It began yellowing only over the last two weeks and I just don't know what to do for the poor thing. Thanks again to both of you for your prompt and informative replies.

Ask a Question