Whats wrong with this blackberry bush?

Reaction score
Country
United States
7F069E17-D266-46D0-92C0-03EC031E0146.jpeg
Picked up this blackberry bush two weeks ago and it was thriving. I RE-potted it into a 30 gallon fabric pot on sandy loam/compost/peat moss mix with some pine bark and the leaves began to to whittle away. What could be wrong here? Seems like there could be numerous issues.

Attachments

• 2C7C710E-F889-4B03-9854-64F7D8BC7EF0.jpeg
    2C7C710E-F889-4B03-9854-64F7D8BC7EF0.jpeg
    236.2 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Country
United States
? no thorns? what is the name on the label? Did you set it on fertilizer?
I believe it’s a young bush that hasn’t produced any berries yet and the place I bought it a couple weeks ago might have overfertalized leading to a lot of growth but weak leaves and canes. It’s a bushel and berry blackberry bush. I added zero fertilizer other than the compost in the soil when I re potted

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I suppose there is enough similarity to suggest what we do with ours which are Kiowa. Feed twice a year, early with a balanced fert like 10-10-10 and postberry with calcium nitrate for next years blooming vines. They want drainage and compost can be mucky. Full sun or they get fussy.

Yes the black leaf edges look like they could be from overfeeding. water and time help.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thank you. Do you think an insect problem depleting nutrients could also be a culprit?
No. I mean its been only 2 weeks and transplant shock and all that for a plant that size is going on. As the new roots get going it will start and you can tell. Ours produce on old wood so they should be fairly aggressive when they come out. I would not feed it anything much until it starts showing how it likes the new situation. It is one less thing to keep up with anyway. Plus just watering it gently will help with any toxicity issues.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
That makes more sense.. I thoroughly inspected it no mites or insects guess I’ll just give it time. Wasn’t planning on feeding it anytime soon should be plenty in the new soil. Guess I’ll just prune the dead leaves and wait.

Ask a Question