What's wrong with my succulent?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm not sure what's going on. It looks as if it being eaten by something but I read somewhere succulents have little to no pests. Is this from too much sun? They are usually in the sun when the sun gets done rising until it sets. I'm also not sure of what kind of succulents they are.
20160619_151152.jpg

Brandie

Mandrake Momma
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What soil are you using? Succulents like sandy soil and very little water. Almost desert conditions, so the sun isn't a problem.

Brandie

Mandrake Momma
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just some potting mix I picked up at Walmart. It has a lot of mulch in it.
Also, I would take them out of the soil it's in and let them dry out for a day(root and all). They may droop for a bit after the transfer to the new soil, but that's normal. They should do much better shortly after. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Agree with Brandi, most succulents do better in sandy soil and don't need to be watered much (if ever!) Think about where most grow...in deserts or rocky soil, in arid climates where it rarely rains. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I have a sort of a green thumb for succulents. I've never had any trouble with any of them... except two. My cat usually ignores my plants, but there are two types of succulents that she just can't stay away from. One of them is the jade fingers plant, which breaks very easily, and she loves watching pieces of it fall to the floor. The other is that spiky thing (pardon my not knowing the name of it) from the top picture. I have to plant those under glass so she can't get at them because she loves to just yank them right up out of the soil. I will find the entire plant, roots and all, lying on the floor. That being said... I was wondering if you have a cat? Perhaps an animal is chewing on that one succulent and leaving the others alone, simply because it tastes good or something?

Brandie

Mandrake Momma
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Rarely ever! When they start to look slightly wrinkly, I give em an inch of water.

Ask a Question