What's wrong with my Stephanotis Floribunda?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The leaves look awful ... Please help. Any advice appreciated.
IMGA0026.JPG

Fuzzygreenery

The Noodle Hamster
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Where are you growing it and how is the humidity? From the looks of it it could be a sign of too much water, not enough water or really low temperatures and not enough warmth. Plant leaves often go yellow when the conditions are like this.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Don't think the humidity was that good, @Fuzzygreenery it was in my small bedroom and I then moved it downstairs where it wouldn't be so dry.. I'm going to check the water and put it somewhere not so dry .. I neve have much luck with them, but the perfume and the purity of the flowers just keep me buying them like a moth to the light...

Thank you for the pointers..

Fuzzygreenery

The Noodle Hamster
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
@alp I recommend letting the plant dry out a little before you water it again - your soil looks quite wet. Having good humidity around the plant is important. Here's something I found that might describe what your plant is suffering from:
  • Pests: susceptible to scale insect, red spider mite, mealybug and root mealybug -- I'd rule this out as a factor since you're growing it inside and thus quite a reduced chance of pests.
  • Lack of flowering: may be caused by low humidity or insufficient summer warmth, but may also be due to unsuitable winter treatment. Keep plants cool in winter – between 13-16°C (55-61°F) – and water sparingly. Poor general growing conditions and lack of feeding may also be factors.
  • Flower bud drop: extreme changes in growing conditions, either over or under watering, extreme high or low temperatures or lack of humidity may cause the flower buds to drop
  • Yellowing and dropping of leaves: this may follow waterlogging or very low temperatures. Lack of feeding will cause a general yellowing of the leaves without dropping. Plants should show green rapidly after foliar feeding.
If the humidity isn't great, you could try putting a humidifer in the room you're growing it in. A lot of seedlings are grown with a plastic bag over them to recreate a humid environment; I assume this is why it might aid in the growth of your Stephanotis Floribunda.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Fuzzygreenery Thank you for the detailed and comprehensive research. I have a very dry house and is west facing.. that probably explained it. I need to buy a spray as it would be useful for my streptocarpuses. I did buy one just for that purpose in Home Bargains.. The bargain was too good to be true and the spray kept leaking and one day, it fell on the carpet and broke its neck. I need to buy another one.. I will have a look at it tomorrow and read the notes again to see the way forward.. Very kind of you!:);)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I know. I might as well wait for one of mine such as Dettol to finish as it seems to me all these spray bottles are pretty useless. How can a spray bottle be leaking? .. - it is supposed to be a proprietary one ... LOL! I have seen some very expensive one such as £5.. To be honest, I might as well wait till my Dettol spray bottle is totally empty rather than spending £1 on a leaking one. What do you mostly grow, FG?

Fuzzygreenery

The Noodle Hamster
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
@alp At the moment I'm growing my sweetpeas, a kalanchoe, strawberries (which still haven't sprouted after weeks of trying, so trying again today), Tropaeolum, Busy Lizzies, Lobelia and Petunia. I'm just trying to play around with my options atm. I used to have lavender in my back yard but my dogs are pretty rampant and have dug everything in the yard up; it now looks like mushy dirt and the dogs get filthy every time they go outside for a wee :cry: so I grow everything inside. I'm planning to move my plants to my front area in big pots soon.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Dogs can be a problem to gardeners. Previous owners had dogs and they left us with about 10 plants ..and a badly scratched patio door... For the dogs, they built a very ugly raised wall.. Truly ugly.. and I avoided getting any of it in my photos... LOL!

Fuzzygreenery

The Noodle Hamster
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Honestly! I have two and they will dig up anything in their path. We have one side concrete but there is a huge patch of pure dirt and the dogs keep digging it up. We had to put a DOOR over the dirt so they can't get to it!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, poor parenting! LOL! If they don't behave, feed them noodles .. :p:D:eek::eek:

Ask a Question