What's wrong with my mint?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hey there. This is my first post, so hopefully I don't sound like an idiot. Ha!

Alright, so I just recently trimmed one of my mint plants quite a bit. It's been very healthy and grows like crazy, so I try to trim it often. Unfortunately now it isn't looking so great. No idea if my trimming it could have caused this, or if it's possibly a disease? Anyway, hoping for some advice.

Oh, and if anyone can identify the type of mint this is, that would also be appreciated.

image1.JPG image2.JPG image4.JPG image3.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
It looks like some leaves are burned. I don't think it is a disease or caused by pests. Since you are not using fertilizer which can sometimes cause that problem, my hunch is your mint gets wet while the sun is very bright hence the some leaves are seared. You should not water your plants at high noon. And it's not the roots either because the other leaves look so healthy. Don't laugh but if you have a dog, check on it for the dog's urine could ruin the leaves.... by burning it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
This happened to my tomatoes and basil before. The reason it happened was because I used miracle gro fertilizer that wasn't meant for container plants.

Reaction score
Country
Lebanon
my guess is that this leaves are just too old and ready to drop to be replaced by new leaves

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes it would. The plants may be root bound but even if not the added soil in a larger pot would be of benefit simply because of the added nutrients.
I didn't have a bigger pot on hand, but I did take it out of the pot, get as much of the old soil out as I could, broke up the roots, and put it back in its original pot with fresh soil and a little bit of fertilizer. We'll see how it does.

Thanks so much for the advice, everyone!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I didn't have a bigger pot on hand, but I did take it out of the pot, get as much of the old soil out as I could, broke up the roots, and put it back in its original pot with fresh soil and a little bit of fertilizer. We'll see how it does.

Thanks so much for the advice, everyone!
Were the roots compacted at all?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Re-pot into a larger pot and use fertilizer regularly. In the 4th picture it shows yellowing of the entire plant. All of the leaves should be a dark vibrant green and have zero yellowing.
As soon as I can get a bigger pot, I will re-pot it.

Ask a Question