What's wrong with my dahlia

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm growing some dinner plate dahlia' s. They were growing great and I noticed some of the leaves had looked like they were being eaten. I noticed these brown dots on one of the leaves but I didn't see any pests on any of the plant. This morning I get up and half my plant has been eaten by something! My second dahlia plant doesn't look like it's been touched.

Attachments

• 20170522_163100.jpg
    20170522_163100.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 1,165
  • 20170522_163006.jpg
    20170522_163006.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 398
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm growing some dinner plate dahlia' s. They were growing great and I noticed some of the leaves had looked like they were being eaten. I noticed these brown dots on one of the leaves but I didn't see any pests on any of the plant. This morning I get up and half my plant has been eaten by something! My second dahlia plant doesn't look like it's been touched.

After thoroughly looking over my plant I noticed these little green bugs. Are they aphids? I killed all i seen. I snipped off all the affecting areas.

Attachments

• 20170522_183453.jpg
    20170522_183453.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 361
Reaction score
That dahlia has been decimated by slugs or snails.Did you harden it off properly before planting ou?,looks as though it has been affected by cold as well.

Very sad looking plant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @Mistyblue - well that looks a bit sad at the moment. never mind, if you have snipped the top off there is always a chance some new growth will come through.
i can`t see the green bugs very clearly on the photo, but if you do have problems with those, soapy dishwater will get rid of them. Watch out for new shoots to grow, and for any little slugs/snails that might be lurking.
Your dahlia will grow again all the time the tuber stays ok, so all is not lost :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
They do look a bit like aphids, is there a sticky residue on the leaves? That would be aphids.
I've read soapy water with a bit of cooking oil shaken up and sprayed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for your replies! So I checked my plant last night and I came across like 15 earwigs on my plant. They were all over my other smaller dahlia plant as well. Today I promptly bought some bug powder for the earwigs. I just checked tonight and I caught one slug munching on a leaf and a second not to far from the plant. I put down a beer trap hoping to lure any slugs in. Sigh I think it's more of the earwigs though. There were a lot of them on my plant.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
As @Tetters says, they will come back. Follow the suggestions here and you should be alright. I am also trying my hand at more dinner plate dahlia. I was accidentally sent one last year and loved it. Hope to see yours and mine soon. Good luck.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right! Sounds like earwigs might be the main problem here then. Try putting down traps with olive oil in them. Earwigs can`t resist it, and natural remedies are always better than using chemicals. There are too many good bugs harmed when you start using chemicals.
Keep smiling, it is all part of gardening and the more problems you solve the better your garden will be. ;)

Ask a Question