What's this weed?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I like it, it's a nice green and it's pretty.

013.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm reading about it now. The seeds can be used for cooking, and the roots are edible.
Yes, it is actually a cultivar of a carrot and you can eat the whole thing. Don't get a hernia trying to pull one up though because the roots are about the size of a pencil. The seeds are tiny and the tops on the bitter side.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I wonder if its roots taste like carrots:D
The plant itself looks lovely! I'd like to have it in my garden even though it's so invasive:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I don't know if the roots taste as carrots or not (I guess something similar), but dried out and ground, they're used as coffee substitute.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You could also cut the flower heads before they go to seed and use them in a vase like any other flower. If you're trying to grow carrots you'll not want them to cross pollinate! While Queen Anne has it's uses, your cultivated carrots will revert and you'll have to get new seed to get a true carrot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oh, and if you're interested in butterflies, don't completely eradicate the plants. Swallowtail larva feed on any plant in the carrot family and if you get them on your parsley (or dill or fennel) you can carefully move them over to the wild carrot. I've also regrown the leaves atop carrots and fed them that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Eat Queen Anne Lace at your peril. It has many look alikes that are deadly poison. I never knew anybody who even attempted to eat it or any parts of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Eat Queen Anne Lace at your peril. It has many look alikes that are deadly poison. I never knew anybody who even attempted to eat it or any parts of it.
I have been around this weed for over 60 years. It is endemic here. You can consume it but why anyone would do so is beyond me. Sheep and goats love it though. If milk cows eat it the milk has an after taste that is not pleasant.

Reaction score
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I have this plant all over my garden. I just can't seem to get rid of it. Does anyone have any tricks for eliminating this plant where I don't want it to grow? I have tried pulling it as soon as I start to see it in the springtime, but it just goes crazy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I have this plant all over my garden. I just can't seem to get rid of it. Does anyone have any tricks for eliminating this plant where I don't want it to grow? I have tried pulling it as soon as I start to see it in the springtime, but it just goes crazy.

The only method used that I know of is pull it root and all after the ground is wet. This is hard work along all fence lines. It is usually cultivated out of existence in fields.

Ask a Question