Whats this bug?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
They came out of a bag in store room with wheat flour. May be 100- 200 in number. size 2-3 mm
Help!
33333333 (1).jpg
33333333 (2).jpg
33333333 (3).jpg
33333333 (4).jpg
33333333 (5).jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It can be both harmful and beneficial, since weevils are plant feeders. However, since you found them in the flour and they are still alive, at least you know the flour is not contaminated by pesticides :D

http://animals.mom.me/weevils-dangerous-8076.html

Excerpt:

"In some cases, weevils benefit humans by serving as test subjects to determine whether residue from pesticides remain in harvested grains. If weevils eat the grains and die, observers know pesticides are present."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well yes, they destroy grain crops and lay eggs inside rice, wheat, etc. I sure wouldn't want to eat that flour. o_O

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yeah, I know...In December there was a symposium in Detroit touting the benefits of eating bugs. I get that. And I'm aware that we all inadvertently eat bugs, rodent hair and poop probably daily.

But none of that overrides the ick factor for me personally!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
You may not want to eat it, but it'd be perfectly safe to eat it and also nutritious, once you get past the :eek: factor:D

Interesting article on that: http://travel.usnews.com/features/Countries_That_Eat_Bugs/
It was a small 5 KG (11 pound) pack that was opened, at first I thought it was ladybug, ladybug sometimes get into house and are in large number, they had those spots, dome shaped body, play possum when touched.o_O

Again when I think about it ladybugs are more brightly colored.:D

"perfectly safe to eat"-yuck!, who eat bugs.:alien: thought of it turns my stomach!:confused:

Ask a Question