What's Sprouting?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
If you've started seeds, what is sprouting?

All of mine are outside. It has been warm, then chilly (we got a dusting of snow this week); it will be warm again next week. Typical spring. I have been doing my best to cover everything at night if it gets below freezing and trying to water every couple days or so if it hasn't rained lately.

So far, the radishes I planted 2/21 are up, just the first two leaves. I thinned them today to be one inch apart; I figure I'll thin them to 2 inches once they get their second set of leaves?

The peas I planted 2/21 are *just* starting to poke their lovely green heads out of the soil. I've planted 3 feet so far- I foot each weekend starting 2/21.

None of the spinach I planted has come up yet, and it's been a couple weeks. Not sure if I should re-sow or just give them another week or so to get started.

At the market today they had some lovely starter plants. To help with my impatience I went ahead and bought 4 kale seedlings and a chive plant and put them out. High today was about 45F/8C, but Monday it's supposed to get all the way up to 65F/18C. Weather will be warm all next week.

What do you have poking out of the ground- inside or out?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Sugar snaps!

sugar_snaps_1.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I don't have a garden, but I grow many types of sprouts indoors, because they're delicious and healthy. Right now, I'm eating a sandwich with radish and mung bean sprouts:D
Sunflower seeds are sprouting in my kitchen:D

Reaction score
Country
United States
Right now I am sprouting tomatoes, basil, parsley, butternut squash, strawberries and bell pepper inside. I planted my summer squash out in the garden two weeks ago and it is getting huge! I am so excited to make a bunch of squash breads this fall. My basil is slowly coming in, but it smells wonderful! The tomatoes are almost ready to go outside and the strawberries won't sprout! My lettuce didn't sprout either.:unsure:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Claudine, you could plant peas, too, and eat the sprouts. I just harvested some for my neighbor, she loves them in salads.
I gave it a try once, but all my peas rotted, they didn't sprout:( I had to throw them away. It's such a pity, I heard that pea sprouts are quite delicious.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I have in growth just now:
In the ground, broad beans (fava), "Early Onward," peas, rhubarb, overwintering onions, cabbages, cauliflowers, little gem lettuces, potatoes, plums, apples, cherries, pears, redcurrants, blackcurrants, whitecurrants, gooseberries.

Outside in pots, garlic (both hardneck and softneck), more peas, strawberries.

In the polytunnel, more winter onions, broccoli, beetroot, potatoes, pak (bok) choi, komatsuna and fine bush beans.

In the greenhouses, aubergines (two varieties, one halflong, one teardrop) eight varieties of tomatoes, two of sweet peppers, summer onions and eschalots, two varieties of chillies, more potatoes, more strawberries.

I have loads of seeds still to sow, loads more potatoes to plant, it's a busy, busy time here in the UK.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've planted carrot, tomatoes, peas and onions in my little greenhouse. Weather has been a little iffy as of late but they've all started sprouting and I'm super excited. I had a garden at my old house and we built about 2 years ago. I didn't have a garden yet because the landscaping wasn't really done, but now it is and this is my first year planting at the new house. I do have a rhubarb patch from the start and those are doing great. I wasn't sure how a garden would do so we got a small greenhouse and we'll go from there, if it does well I'll be expanding next year. I'd like to plant strawberries and now that I have that idea in my head I'm going to have to visit my garden center today and buy some strawberries to plant!

Ask a Question