WHAT'S LOOKING GOOD IN JULY 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I like hebes, they don't take much looking after.

P1050346.JPG

There's ten here.

P1050345.JPG

Couple of newer ones, may graduate to ceramic pots later.

P1050347.JPG

This hydrangea suffered badly when we had that sharp frost three months back, which killed off all the buds, but it's "having another go." There's a couple of branches there which would lend themselves to layering. I've had success with doing that with azaleas in the past, so I might give it a go.

P1050349.JPG

These rhodos have put on a good show of new growth, it does help if you dead-head them as soon as the blooms start to die off. The foliage is a good colour too. Thery don't get any special feed. I just blow some of the dead leaves that fall from next door's trees that end up on the lawn to the back of the bed and let them rot down.

P1050350.JPG

The rhodos I "rescued" in Aldi last year, which were dying off in the store, as no one waters them, are repaying me for my kindness.

P1050351.JPG

The lawn's not looking too bad, but a bit patchy, it might be cat pee. A bit of moss in the grass next to the brick edging under the acer in the foreground, but I gave it a dose of iron sulphate today. It just dies off, I don't even have to rake it out, it gets picked up by the mower over a few weeks.

P1050348.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
They don't water them in the store because of safety.

Yes, that's what they told me. I think it's because they haven't knowlegeable staff and they could chuck water everywhere. But it only needs a bit of common sense. I think I've mentioned that before when I first posted about them.

Last edited:

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, that's what they told me. I think it's because they haven't knowlegeable staff and they could chuck water everywhere. But it only needs a bit of common sense. I think I've mentioned that before when I first posted about them.
Perhaps that's where I remember it from but couldn't remember who.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Our giant lilies asre just coming out. We've several dotted around the garden. They dfon't get any special attention, they just come up every year. We don't pick them and bring them indoors as the pollen will stain any fabrics. It's too much bother to rwemove the stamens.

P1050366.JPG

P1050369.JPG

P1050367.JPG

P1050368.JPG

DrMike27

Trust me...I’m a doctor.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This is the first monsoon season I can remember that actually gave us a lot of rain in the desert. Projected to rain all week here! Unfortunately, you can see the sunflowers are winding down :-/ but they did bring some amazing songbirds over to hang out over the last 2 months so can’t complain.
1626786869424.jpeg

Lavender loves it!
1626786956948.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I'm very pleased with the growth of the new white wisteria we bought two years ago and the two self layered blue ones of the old one on tjhe garage wall that died apart from the branch that goes along the top of the fence and on the pergola on the back of the house.

We've gone from this in 2019.

P1020707.JPG

To this today. Almost a solid canopy of foliage over the pergola.. It took some coaxing and regular pruning.

P1050392.JPG

Our giant lilies are mostly out now. But with the ones against the garage wall I've removed the stamens as if you brush against them the pollen will stain your clothess.

P1050384.JPG

P1050385.JPG

P1050386.JPG

P1050389.JPG

I'm pleased with this hydrangia, fully recovered from the frost three months ago that nearly killed it.

P1050391.JPG

Not so many roses blooming at the moment, but there's more to come.

P1050382.JPG

P1050383.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question