What's looking good in December 2016

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
The "Tequila Sunrise" Hibiscus continues to bloom, but i hesitate to post yet another photo here. Also,

This is the first year for the Plumbago and once it starts to bloom it just doesn't stop. It bloomed all through the rainy season and would get beat down with every tropical storm and downpour and when the rain stopped it would perk right up again. It continues to bloom...what a trooper. It would be beautiful if the gardener, which would be me, would give it more attention and trim some of the spent blooms

P1020462.JPG

Also the Red Shrimp plant (Justicia brandegeeana) is blooming well to the delight of the hummingbirds. I call this plant the hummingbird feeder, the hummers come three times a day. This is another plant that blooms all year around. The bracts provide the color and the little white flutes are the flowers.
P1020463.JPG

The Dalechampia dioscoreifolia (Bow Tie Vine or Butterfly Vine), native of Costa Rica is also blooming. Here again the bracts provide the color, and the flower at the center provides the amusement and bemusement, always evolving and appearing in different forms, from the bud to the seed. This is a host plant for the Cracker butterflies that should be in my area but in 4 years or so, i've never seen one. The flower itself is very sticky and a danger to pollinators who do not visit except one species of small fly or wasp. I keep the vine going in the hopes of seeing some Cracker caterpillars some day and also because the vine itself it so entertaining.

P1020459.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The bow tie vine is beautiful - and has a very appropriate name!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@Becky, this is what the vine looks like at 2.5m (8') up. Not at the present time though. I pruned it down after the rainy season and a good thing because there were 2 wasp nests in there which are no more and i haven't been seeing wasps in the garden since then which is a good thing for me because they eat my caterpillars. The vine is said to grow well in usda zones 9 and up.
IMG_4103.JPG

P1000647.JPG

Ask a Question