9a
Country
United Kingdom
July's thread Here

DSCN1712.JPG

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Whenever the weather is good then everything must grow. We had a lot of rain as from July. Now my flowers have grown big. I also have vegetables for August and probably September. What I do not have are fruit trees, which means that I will have to buy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
With such a wet spring and summer this year a lot of my plants (mainly annuals) have failed but here are the bright spots of my garden. :)

IMG_1075.JPG

Cistus
IMG_1076.JPG

Lavatera
IMG_1082.JPG

IMG_1085.JPG

Nicotiana
IMG_1088.JPG

Double Antirrhinum
IMG_1090.JPG

Knautia Macedonica
IMG_1097.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Looking lovely Sheal (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
With such a wet spring and summer this year a lot of my plants (mainly annuals) have failed but here are the bright spots of my garden. :)

View attachment 8177

Cistus
View attachment 8178

Lavatera
View attachment 8179

View attachment 8180

Nicotiana
View attachment 8181

Double Antirrhinum
View attachment 8182

Knautia Macedonica
View attachment 8183
Lovely bright spots Sheal. Do the snails eat your nicotiana. I have one in a pot and have no been unsure of where to plant it. Very pretty.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Thank you DeborahJane and Becky. :)

The snails haven't touched the Nicotiana @DeborahJane but they have demolished the flowers on my new Clematis below! :mad: I would imagine they're not lovers of nicotine. :D

View attachment 8199
That's a shame Sheal. Is this the before snails photo as the clematis looks lovely.
I've been told that snails do like nicotiana so I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and find out for myself. So far it's in a small pot on the top shelf of my shelves where plants wait to be planted.
image.jpg
Mind you snails do climb so I'm sure they would have got to it if they'd wanted.
It is pretty and not being displayed at its best so I must decide the best spot. As you can see.....wasted in the "waiting room". I have a large pot with a French Lace hydrangea in it. It's all cut back and looking pretty awful. I'd planted ferns with it in the hope it would give a display while the hydie is bare but it's not really working. I thought maybe the nicotiana might work. I also wondered if hellebores might work. I have some tall growing ones which could maybe interweave amongst the bare hydrangea stalks. Has any one tried something like this. I don't want to kill the hydrangea, it has black stalks and is quite stunning with bright pink heads.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I've just remembered you're in Australia DeborahJane. :rolleyes: You must have better temperatures there during the winter months than here in Britain as Nicotiana wouldn't stand a chance of surviving. We've had a lot of rain this spring and summer, in fact it's pouring down again now. If the slugs and snails are out and about then it's not my Nicotiana they're after. In fact, they haven't touched anything else in the garden apart from the Clematis. Perhaps they've decided there's better food somewhere else......if I'm lucky! :D

I don't think the Nicotiana will work in the same pot as the Hydrangea, the Hydrangea's roots will sap everything from the soil and Nicotiana droops very quickly if it's not kept watered.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I've just remembered you're in Australia DeborahJane. :rolleyes: You must have better temperatures there during the winter months than here in Britain as Nicotiana wouldn't stand a chance of surviving. We've had a lot of rain this spring and summer, in fact it's pouring down again now. If the slugs and snails are out and about then it's not my Nicotiana they're after. In fact, they haven't touched anything else in the garden apart from the Clematis. Perhaps they've decided there's better food somewhere else......if I'm lucky! :D

I don't think the Nicotiana will work in the same pot as the Hydrangea, the Hydrangea's roots will sap everything from the soil and Nicotiana droops very quickly if it's not kept watered.

Thanks Sheal. I think I might move the hydrangea out of the pot once it has bloomed this year. It has nice big buds now but really the pot is a central feature and looks pretty ordinary cut back. Not sure what to put there. Originally I had a standard fuchsia which was lovely but broke in the wind. It is a fairly shaded spot. Maybe a pretty lacey type fern. I have just been given one by a friend for my birthday. It will take a while to grow so maybe some annuals to tide me over whilst I'm waiting!!!;) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ask a Question