Whats happening to these bushes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last autumn I planted a vibernum (Mareisii) bush and next to it,
a metre away, a Cornus Kesselringii. About a month ago the Viburnum leaves began to darken and shrivel and the plant died so i removed it. Today I've noticed that the Cornus leaves are starting to go the same way. Can anyone help diagnose whats going on?

We are in the uk and have had a hot dry spring, but the plants have been watered regularly. Other plants in the border are thriving.

Steve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @Steve billington . Firstly, welcome to the forum.
Considering how hot and dry it`s been for a while here in Kent (where we are) the first reaction has to be to blame the problem on the weather. Even watering is sometime no enough to help new shrubs along in their early months. A LOT of water is needed to reach the roots of shrubs!
It would be helpful to know how big these were when they were planted - usually the smaller the better to start off.
There are, of course other possibilities for the problem, and it is always good to include photos if you can.

When we were out with the dogs the other day we did notice several trees that were seemingly dying too, which was a bit disturbing :unsure:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @Steve billington . Firstly, welcome to the forum.
Considering how hot and dry it`s been for a while here in Kent (where we are) the first reaction has to be to blame the problem on the weather. Even watering is sometime no enough to help new shrubs along in their early months. A LOT of water is needed to reach the roots of shrubs!
It would be helpful to know how big these were when they were planted - usually the smaller the better to start off.
There are, of course other possibilities for the problem, and it is always good to include photos if you can.

When we were out with the dogs the other day we did notice several trees that were seemingly dying too, which was a bit disturbing :unsure:
Hi Tetters. Thanks for replying to my query about the Viburnum. You’re right about the watering. I think I planted in soil that was to dry and sandy. I’ve transferreed it to a pot with some manure and compost and I’m watering a lot and it seems to be coming back from the brink. The dogwood too is responding to heavy watering and looks better already.
Oh - and the drought seems to have ended and we are back to our usual cold and wet British summer!! Onwards and upwards!
Steve

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Welcome Steve. As a side note, Viburnum grows wild in our woods here in North Carolina. It usually is found in areas with partial shade and soil that is rich with decomposing leaves. Good luck with yours.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1591622113173.png
Viburnum Mariesii is a particular favourite of mine. It always looks best as a specimen plant and deserves a place where it can be a focal point in the garden -maybe in the centre of a lawn.
As a general rule of thumb, if your garden has fine dry sandy soil (whereabouts are you?) you would do well to import some serious organic matter, and then plant your shrubs and trees. As our summers are getting drier it is also beneficial to use a good mulch around plants to help keep water in.
Pal up with somebody who keeps horses ..... well rotted horse dung will do the job nicely :sneaky:
When you need to water, wait until the late afternoon, and then water the ground by the roots, and not the foliage!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Doublefile Viburnum (Viburnum plicatum var. plicatum forma tomentosum 'Mariesii'), in the Moschatel Family (Adoxaceae), is a cultivated form of a deciduous shrub native to eastern China, Japan, and Taiwan. It is reknowned for its display of double rows of white inflorescences that line blooming horizontal branches with leaves held beneath.

Kesselring's Tatarian Dogwood (Cornus alba 'Kesselringii') is a selected form of a deciduous shrubby Dogwood (Cornus, Cornaceae) native throughout eastern Europe, northern Asia, China, Hainan, and Sakhalin. It is admired for the deep red to black bark on young stems, red to purple Fall Foliage, and sprays of white flowers followed by white berries.

Both of these shrubs need ample soil moisture throughout the growing season.
In drier climates, and during drought, amending and mulching the soil with fine organic matter such as compost will help to conserve water and maintain the health and appearance of these plants.

Ask a Question