What's happening to my green bean leaves?

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is happening to my green bean leaves? Some are developing light brown spots on the leaves. The other day I decided to cut off all the leaves having these spots and dispose of them, but more spots are gradually developing on some remaining leaves. This issue is affecting only some leaves, not an entire plant. I have several green beans planted in a row.
What is this ailment and what can I do about it? Thanks.

green bean leaves.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! I've edited the photo into the post for you :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome! It would be helpful to know where you live or what your USDA growing zone is. ;)

Do you see any insect activity? Look under the leaves for bugs or insect casing or eggs etc. If so I am sure @Chuck will recommend a spinosad based spray!

Or possible mildew, if there's any powdery residue. But to me, looks more like some sort of insect that sucks the juice out of the leaves.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm in MO, in zone 6a. I haven't seen any suspicious insects, or any on the underside of the leaves, or any aphids. My garden is well ventilated as it is in the middle of a flat area of the yard. It gets full sun all day. The green beans are planted between corn (<24 inches tall) and cucumbers, neither of which are large or producing yet as I planted my garden in June.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think this is old damage, probably from beetles. I see no damage to new growth. I would snip of the damaged leaves and burn them. Keep a close watch on the underside of the leaves. and for colorful beetles crawling and flying around

Ask a Question