What's going on with this Rhaphidophora Tetrasperma?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

So I've had this plant about a month now and she is not growing like your typical Rhaphidophora, she doesn't appear to be vining at all and is just growing in clumps. You can see that the main stem was chopped by the nursery so I'm wondering if that's affected the way this plant is growing, has anyone had something similar happen? I really wanted this plant because of the way it vines!

Also I chopped off a few leaves when I first got her as they looked a bit funny/some new growth was coming in black and shes grown loads of new leaves, all healthy looking but now iv got another one growing in with black parts and im not sure why! I know I want to change the soil as it's quite heavy so maybe that could be it, any thoughts?
IMG_20200715_122006.jpg
IMG_20200715_115921.jpg
IMG_20200715_115911.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
These are easy plants to care for. One thing to remember is not to overwater, and this may be the problem when the plant shows black, brown, yellow leaves. As for climbing, give it time, provide it with a moss pole if possible, and wait.
Cutting it back will have increased its vigour. It looks pretty healthy to me. The one thing to watch out for with this one is red spider mite. Look out for webs, and deal with this if it happens.

Ask a Question