What's eating my plants?

Reaction score
I have a small tree that is barely starting to grow and I noticed the other day I was outside there were some holes in the leaves I didn't think much of it at first, but then a few days later there some more holes on another plant right next to the tree so I assume I was dealing with the same problem. The only thing that baffles me is that I am not even sure what I am dealing with I never came across with what is eating the leaves on my tree and now my plants. I would like to get rid of whatever it is, but not sure if I have to use a specific kind of pesticide.

Reaction score
It helps to know what the insect is that is doing the eating of your plants. Try and check the plant and tree out at different times during the day; some insects come early, some later, some only at night. Once you see them try and get a photo of the insect and take it down to the garden center where they can advise you as to what to do.

Reaction score
If you are seeing holes in the leaves of the plant, then you probably have an insect eating it and not an animal such as a deer or rabbit. Take a close look at your plant. You may want to gently shake it and see if any bugs fly out.
I also agree with the advice from firelily99, who posted above. Sometimes, insects do come out at different times during the day. So it can be hard to catch them in the act of eating the plant's leaves.

Reaction score
Although there are a few all round pesticides that deal with the more common insects, its normally very difficult to get rid of something that is eating a plant - if you don't know what it is - especially as you may need to use a treatment specific to that creature or insect in order to eradicate it.
Insects and plant eating creatures seem be very secretive when it comes to eating our plants and no matter what size they are - manage to stay well out of sight - so I think the best and easiest option - is take some leaves off the tree and either see if you can find a match to one of the leaves - via the internet or take it to your garden store where they may well be able to tell you what they think it is, that may be eating your tree or even post a photo here and see if any of us might know what it is.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with the above statement, it is hard to tell what is eating your plant without seeing the insect. You can try spraying the plant to see if you can get rid of the insect even though you don't see the insect. The tactics to kill one insect is different for another insect so you may need several tries to get the right spray to get the plant eating bug under control.

Ask a Question