What wrong with my courgette plant?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie gardener, and would really appreciate some advice. My courgette plant has been growing both male and female flowers for a couple of weeks. The male flowers blossom and fall off (which I understand is quite normal). The female flowers, however, are not opening at all. This week they have started rotting!! :(

The plant is still indoors as it has been quite cold and windy (I'm in Surrey, UK). I put my bean plants out last week and they all died, so I am bit reluctant to put the courgette out until it warms up. I'm planning to harden them by putting them out a few hours a day this week.

I have new compost for the courgette plant, and I don't think I am over or under watering. The plant is in quite a large grow bag for teh size of the plant (30cm in diameter x 30cm in height). The plant is near a floor to ceiling window. What am I doing wrong?? Could it be that it's still not getting enough sun?

Thank you in advance
Mida

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @Mida and welcome to the forums.
This has been an awful spring for all of our growing endeavours this year - weather all over the place. Long severe frost, wind, drought, heat, and then more frost :inpain:
You seem to have started your courgettes a bit too early to suit 2021. I don`t think they will or should be ready for going out until at least the end of this month, and possibly not until June. It`s not your fault !!

If you have a cold frame, or other sheltered place outside where you can shelter your plants with fleece overnight, it could be a good idea to do that and harden them off a bit. They will need pollination before the fruits will set - either bees and other insects, or by mechanical measures.
I would be careful too not to overwater them.

Ask a Question