What would you recommend?

Reaction score
Hi!

I’m in TN zone 7a/7b.

I’m looking for some low maintenance ideas for the space below in the front beds of my house. This area gets probably about 6-8 hours of sun. What ideas do you have? FYI the 2 smaller plants are gardenias I just planted last year. Would prefer to keep those, but could move around if needed Thanks so much!!!

FD519CB9-3065-48CE-B045-94D1BDAFDE4C.jpeg

62BF0CA1-9949-490B-9690-FE2AA8EC1F10.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
You have a great blank space there to fill with great plants!
How about lantanas (come in a variety of colors, heights, and just need cutting back about once a year). There are several perennial salvias that also come in different colors and, here in Texas (zone 8a), are pretty much evergreen. You might consider the Knock-out roses--little maintenance and disease resistant--although some folks find them less disease resistant than advertised.
Since you have 6-8 hours of sunlight, you could plant vegetables--red and green leaf lettuces, kale, short patio type cherry tomatoes, herbs. All decorative, all edible.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you want low maintenance, I would go with perennials that are native to TN. They are already suited to your climate and soil. I'm giving you a link to 78 options. :D

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/c...01=1&height_02=1&1&pagecount=10&pagecount=100

I went ahead and plugged in a few other parameters. I searched plants that grow less than 3 feet high. I chose moist soil because I see two downspouts. I also specified no brown, black, or green flowers. I didn't think the brown or black would look right with the house, and I just don't like green flowers! :ROFLMAO:

If any of that doesn't suit, you can scroll to the bottom of the page and fix it. :)

Some of your options are really pretty! :love:

RWS_IMG2417.JPG
th
SCB_IMG0050.JPG

th
SAW_02394.JPG
SAW_00422.JPG

SCB_IMG1434.JPG
RWS_IMG1589.JPG
TLM_CIMG2316.JPG

:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
If you want low maintenance, I would go with perennials that are native to TN. They are already suited to your climate and soil. I'm giving you a link to 78 options. :D

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/c...01=1&height_02=1&1&pagecount=10&pagecount=100

I went ahead and plugged in a few other parameters. I searched plants that grow less than 3 feet high. I chose moist soil because I see two downspouts. I also specified no brown, black, or green flowers. I didn't think the brown or black would look right with the house, and I just don't like green flowers! :ROFLMAO:

If any of that doesn't suit, you can scroll to the bottom of the page and fix it. :)

Some of your options are really pretty! :love:

RWS_IMG2417.JPG
th
SCB_IMG0050.JPG

th
SAW_02394.JPG
SAW_00422.JPG

SCB_IMG1434.JPG
RWS_IMG1589.JPG
TLM_CIMG2316.JPG

:)
I do believe you are a plant whisperer. At a minimum a keyboard tickler!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I do believe you are a plant whisperer. At a minimum a keyboard tickler!

Shh... :cautious: I am highly trained in google-fu. :ninja: :ninja:

:LOL: I do love that website!! It makes perfect sense to me - if you want low maintenance, then pick something that wants to grow there!! (y)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
6-8 hours of sun is a lot and the walls retain and release heat at night as well. I would say any heat loving plants will do very nicely.

Tall bearded irises like to be baked, peonies too. They don't need much watering. Also, cistus, alliums and tulips which should come up every year. You could dig some sand into the base and the tulips will be very happy there. Dahlias, alstroemerias (beware this could spread like wildfire) and osteospermum, and heucheras. Some salvias will also be happy there. Fuchsias too.

Agree with MaryMary for the butterfly weeds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
The gardenias will be vary nice when they get going, Begonias like the Escargot Rex Bellow with as Suggested above & Plants Like Coleus for a few Hotter colours to mix it up a little. I can see a Nice Day out at a Nursery in spring and a basket of plants coming
escargot Rex Begona.jpg
home with you come soon(y)

mg guy

lawn and garden freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi!

I’m in TN zone 7a/7b.

I’m looking for some low maintenance ideas for the space below in the front beds of my house. This area gets probably about 6-8 hours of sun. What ideas do you have? FYI the 2 smaller plants are gardenias I just planted last year. Would prefer to keep those, but could move around if needed Thanks so much!!!

View attachment 32282

View attachment 32283

perfect place for a grouping of dwarf hydrangea-your local nursery should have the newest varieties,( maybe not yet, it is a little early in the season) which bloom splendidly in a sunny bed.

these babies get sun all day long.

you said low maintenance, and these get cut back early spring-and that's about it, maybe some fert. and a good soak if the weather gets too dry.

DSCF3923 (2).JPG

Last edited:

mg guy

lawn and garden freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Itguy, I'll edit to add... that being a front foundation planting, a string of liriope rounding the front of the bed might look nice as well. Give it a bit of definition. (might have to widen the bed a bit-but hey, as gardeners that's what we do!)
You being in a TN zone should be no problem.

Ask a Question