What would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Garden Design' started by itguy12, Feb 10, 2018.

1. itguy12

itguy12

Hi!

I’m in TN zone 7a/7b.

I’m looking for some low maintenance ideas for the space below in the front beds of my house. This area gets probably about 6-8 hours of sun. What ideas do you have? FYI the 2 smaller plants are gardenias I just planted last year. Would prefer to keep those, but could move around if needed Thanks so much!!!

FD519CB9-3065-48CE-B045-94D1BDAFDE4C.jpeg

62BF0CA1-9949-490B-9690-FE2AA8EC1F10.jpeg

itguy12, Feb 10, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. itguy12

DirtMechanic

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    DirtMechanic, Feb 10, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. itguy12

CanadianLori

Ferns and hostas might be a nice filler for those gardens. Overseed with shade grass?

I like the shape of the beds.

CanadianLori, Feb 10, 2018
  4. itguy12

marlingardener

You have a great blank space there to fill with great plants!
    How about lantanas (come in a variety of colors, heights, and just need cutting back about once a year). There are several perennial salvias that also come in different colors and, here in Texas (zone 8a), are pretty much evergreen. You might consider the Knock-out roses--little maintenance and disease resistant--although some folks find them less disease resistant than advertised.
    Since you have 6-8 hours of sunlight, you could plant vegetables--red and green leaf lettuces, kale, short patio type cherry tomatoes, herbs. All decorative, all edible.

marlingardener, Feb 11, 2018
  5. itguy12

Silentrunning

I would go with two or three varieties of Hostas. This may be a bit costly up front but they are very low maintenance and look great.

Silentrunning, Feb 11, 2018
  6. itguy12

MaryMary Quite Contrary

If you want low maintenance, I would go with perennials that are native to TN. They are already suited to your climate and soil. I'm giving you a link to 78 options. :D

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/c...01=1&height_02=1&1&pagecount=10&pagecount=100

I went ahead and plugged in a few other parameters. I searched plants that grow less than 3 feet high. I chose moist soil because I see two downspouts. I also specified no brown, black, or green flowers. I didn't think the brown or black would look right with the house, and I just don't like green flowers! :ROFLMAO:

If any of that doesn't suit, you can scroll to the bottom of the page and fix it. :)

Some of your options are really pretty! :love:

[​IMG] [​IMG] . [​IMG] .

[​IMG] . [​IMG] . [​IMG]

[​IMG] . [​IMG]. [​IMG]

:)

MaryMary, Feb 11, 2018
    Larisa, Becky, DeborahJane and 2 others like this.
  7. itguy12

DirtMechanic

I do believe you are a plant whisperer. At a minimum a keyboard tickler!

DirtMechanic, Feb 11, 2018
    Larisa and MaryMary like this.
  8. itguy12

MaryMary Quite Contrary

Shh... :cautious: I am highly trained in google-fu. :ninja: :ninja:

:LOL: I do love that website!! It makes perfect sense to me - if you want low maintenance, then pick something that wants to grow there!! (y)

MaryMary, Feb 11, 2018
    Larisa likes this.
  9. itguy12

DirtMechanic

I keep reading the word shade and the word grass in the same sentence. I think it is because opposites attract.

Maybe cast iron plants? Also called iron leaf? I have no luck with grass in shade.

DirtMechanic, Feb 11, 2018
  10. itguy12

alp

6-8 hours of sun is a lot and the walls retain and release heat at night as well. I would say any heat loving plants will do very nicely.

Tall bearded irises like to be baked, peonies too. They don't need much watering. Also, cistus, alliums and tulips which should come up every year. You could dig some sand into the base and the tulips will be very happy there. Dahlias, alstroemerias (beware this could spread like wildfire) and osteospermum, and heucheras. Some salvias will also be happy there. Fuchsias too.

Agree with MaryMary for the butterfly weeds.

alp, Feb 11, 2018
    Esther Knapicius likes this.
  11. itguy12

LIcenter

LIcenter, Feb 11, 2018
  12. itguy12

Daren

The gardenias will be vary nice when they get going, Begonias like the Escargot Rex Bellow with as Suggested above & Plants Like Coleus for a few Hotter colours to mix it up a little. I can see a Nice Day out at a Nursery in spring and a basket of plants coming escargot Rex Begona.jpg home with you come soon(y)

Daren, Feb 11, 2018
  13. itguy12

Esther Knapicius

6-8 hours of sun, wow, that is a lot. I would go with colorful shrub roses. that will help to color up in front of the brown brick on the house and the cream siding . easy care.

Esther Knapicius, Feb 12, 2018
  14. itguy12

mg guy lawn and garden freak

perfect place for a grouping of dwarf hydrangea-your local nursery should have the newest varieties,( maybe not yet, it is a little early in the season) which bloom splendidly in a sunny bed.

these babies get sun all day long.

you said low maintenance, and these get cut back early spring-and that's about it, maybe some fert. and a good soak if the weather gets too dry.

DSCF3923 (2).JPG

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    mg guy, Feb 19, 2018
  15. itguy12

mg guy lawn and garden freak

Itguy, I'll edit to add... that being a front foundation planting, a string of liriope rounding the front of the bed might look nice as well. Give it a bit of definition. (might have to widen the bed a bit-but hey, as gardeners that's what we do!)
    You being in a TN zone should be no problem.

mg guy, Feb 19, 2018
    alp likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question