What type of grass doesn't die during summer?

Reaction score
It is tiring and expensive to buy grass and lay them out every year after summer. My grass looks great now but surely they will all dry up come April. We have turned on the sprinklers every afternoon from March to May and yet they dried up. I guess the sun is too hot here. Is there any variety that won't dry up too easily? We have been getting crab grass.

Reaction score
Tribie - assume you mean lawn grass and not ornamental grasses.

You mention that you use Crab Grass which confuses me a touch, which, as far as I knew, is a type of grass that people are always trying to remove from their lawns, with the abundant use of the many chemicals manufactured for this purpose.

Am not sure where you live, in terms of climate, am guessing maybe somewhere with hot summers. If you are looking for something that can survive baking hot summers, can't think of the names at present, but know there are a few grasses available especially for this purpose, one of which has to be planted, by someone with a great deal of patience and time on their hands, as each blade has to be planted individually. :(

There is of course an easy care alternative - artificial grass. Quite a few people use this where I live, and some people find artificial grass very acceptable - but have to say, I think it looks absolutely horrible and plastic grass is not something that I could ever find attractive to look at.

Headfullofbees - love the Dracula Grass, now that to me is, very attractive, although a little unusual for a lawn :D

Reaction score
When I lived in the extremely hot and dry climate of Arizona we had Bermuda grass. It is a tough grass to kill. All new homes that are built in Arizona are banned from having grass lawns in the front yards now because it is such a huge waste of water in the desert. Have you thought about a nice rock landscape? No more watering and that helps the environment.

Reaction score
I'd look into native grasses that have evolved specifically for the area you live in.

Reaction score
You could look to getting artificial turf. I remember reading up on this and the benefits clearly out-way the negatives. You won't have to water, fertilize, or worry about your lawn. You will save a lot of time and money, and your grass will always look as green as they were from the time you got them. You also won't have to worry about weeds, as they won't be able to grow, and there is also a drainage system for rain. Some people, however, don't like it because of the non-natural feeling it gives. Look into it and see if it's something you're interested in.

Reaction score
It is tiring and expensive to buy grass and lay them out every year after summer. My grass looks great now but surely they will all dry up come April. We have turned on the sprinklers every afternoon from March to May and yet they dried up. I guess the sun is too hot here. Is there any variety that won't dry up too easily? We have been getting crab grass.

I am not sure what kind of grass would survive in your hot climate. However, one way to keep your lawn healthy and growing is to leave the grass clippings on the lawn after you mow it. Don't bag or rake away the clippings. The clippings help keep your grass growing all year around.

Reaction score
I'd look into native grasses that have evolved specifically for the area you live in.

This, or any type of grass that is heat resistant and requires little water to survive on. Also try adding some fertilizer, maybe the soil isn't rich in nutrients.

Ask a Question