What tree/plant is this?

j.w

Reaction score
This just popped up one day and don't know what it is. Nothing around here w/ leaves like this that I know of. Right now the leaves are only about 4" long and 2" wide.

IMG_3873.JPG

Reaction score
JW if you have a smartphone there is are a few apps out there that you can download, take a pic of the leaf and it will give you several ideas what it is. I have not had the chance to try it out yet to see how well it works.

j.w

Reaction score
No smartphone here, only a dumb one from Wal-mart. Thought it looked kinda like an oak but on the net it said oak leaves have line veins alternate not straight across from each other.

j.w

Reaction score
Thanks Nova, I found more here and there around my property but can't figure out where they came from unless a squirrel carried them from somewhere. I have looked when out walking and have never seen any oak trees here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
gosh that would make a great impression on a concrete counter top .I saw a lot of countertop makes are using leaves and other stuff for impressions and it just gives such a personal touch to them .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I agree, looks like a red oak. Sounds like the squirrels have been busy!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
could be I threw out raw peanuts and now have plants in a lot of spots and will harvest them and see how they turn out soon .

Reaction score
Looks like an oak to me, but I can't tell for sure. Let us know what it is when you figure it out.

Reaction score
Hmmm as you said squirrels could of brought in anything!
I have found some interesting plants below theirs nests down at the back part of our yard.

Reaction score
Looks like it may be a red oak, here's a picture of a red oak leaf:

red.jpg

Looks similar to your picture except a little darker. If those are the leaves of a red oak tree they are probably growing from an underground root that is close to the surface.

red_oak_tree_l_lg.jpg

Reaction score
That is a oak tree. I am in zone 7 as well, and I find them in my yard often. You can be creative and put it in a small pot to manipulate it into a bonsai. I've found a oak tree sapling growing one of my pots I left outdoors through the winter. I am going to remove all the leaves except two so they can reproduce smaller leaves and see how this bonsai project goes.

Reaction score
That is a oak tree. I am in zone 7 as well, and I find them in my yard often. You can be creative and put it in a small pot to manipulate it into a bonsai. I've found a oak tree sapling growing one of my pots I left outdoors through the winter. I am going to remove all the leaves except two so they can reproduce smaller leaves and see how this bonsai project goes.

I would love to know how to turn a piece of an oak tree into a Bonsai tree or plant. Do you mind sharing how this is done? I've created many types of live arrangements for my indoor plants. I have quite a few container plants consisting of a combination of 3 to 6 different types of plants so I'm always looking for new ideas.

Ask a Question