What tree is this?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, can someone identify this tree? It's a our backyard and my husband wants to move it but I don't know the size of its root system and/or if a move will kill it. If we know what it is perhaps moving it at another time of the year would make more sense. It's autumn here and cool. (Pardon the double post; can't figure out how to delete it).

Attachments

• Tree1.jpg
    Tree1.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Tree2.jpg
    Tree2.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Tree3.jpg
    Tree3.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This says it is a 50% possibility of being a Japanese wax-leaf privet. I don't know anything about those but maybe you can further your research.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
As big as it is it will take a huge rootball, about 4' across, requiring heavy equipment to move if you want it to survive. They're tough plants but that's asking a lot.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Using caution, and time instead of effort.
Take some cuttings, now is a good time, wait until you know they have struck, try moving it. That way you have something to replace it with if moving is too much for it, or you could just chop it up and plant out the cutting anyway. Even when they survive moves like that can leave their mark on a plant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
As big as it is it will take a huge rootball, about 4' across, requiring heavy equipment to move if you want it to survive. They're tough plants but that's asking a lot.
Yes, my thoughts exactly. Husband is putting in a new driveway so the tree has to be moved he says - so I guess we'll give it a try. He has some heavy equipment and is hoping the move of about 8 feet from where it is with minimal root disruption won't be too hard on it, but we'll see. My vote was to leave it and change the driveway, but I lost that battle. :(

Reaction score
Country
United States
Using caution, and time instead of effort.
Take some cuttings, now is a good time, wait until you know they have struck, try moving it. That way you have something to replace it with if moving is too much for it, or you could just chop it up and plant out the cutting anyway. Even when they survive moves like that can leave their mark on a plant.
Thank you for the advice; can you advise as to how large the cuttings should be and how I should treat them? I will research online as well. I really don't want to lose the plant so will see what can be done.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Cuttings should be 3-6" long with 4-6 pairs of leaves. Strip the bottom 2 pairs of leaves, dip in rooting hormone, stick in flats or pots of good potting soil, water well and keep moist but not soggy. If you can rig up some kind of greenhouse that will raise humidity it will help. You'll be starting over from scratch.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cuttings should be 3-6" long with 4-6 pairs of leaves. Strip the bottom 2 pairs of leaves, dip in rooting hormone, stick in flats or pots of good potting soil, water well and keep moist but not soggy. If you can rig up some kind of greenhouse that will raise humidity it will help. You'll be starting over from scratch.
Thanks so much.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you, cpp gardener, I wouldn't have known. Looking on the web would be sensible, but I am a twentieth century man and don't think of these things.

Ask a Question