What topping can I use in a scree/alpine bed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a fifteen year old scree bed I planted alpine s and succulents. The alpine grit I used is looking tired .I would like to replace this with something to brighten it up. I had thought of the cream Cotswold chippings . But am not sure if the plants are ok with this. What do others use?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I use the 6mm crushed granite on one of them and 10 mm. lime gravel on the limestone one. I am not so sure about using a brightly coloured mulch, but that is just a personal thing.
At the Alpine Garden Society Garden in Pershore, the scree bed is covered in cream coloured pieces up to about 2 inches in size.
I also have a bed which is mulched with blue grey slate, which looks better to me than the coloured stuff.
Just be careful it does not end up looking like a grave with the highly coloured chippings on them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes that's a thought ,it could look like a grave and I don't want that ! I had liked the cream clippings then it would go with the property. It's three hundred year old.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
If it is your local stone then go for it. Think a covering of the natural colour of the area is better than importing something alien to the vicinity.

Ask a Question