What to use for beads between drying slices?

Reaction score
I thread sliced apples, pumpkins, sweet potatoes, etc., to dry on a thin string and hang to dry. But often the slices slip down to the lowest point, so I've decided to separate them with beads, thinking it should be easy to find something suitable. But nothing is around the house so I may have to buy something. I suppose I could cut up some straws into eighth-inch sections, but...any suggestions for something cheap? Thanks...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I thread sliced apples, pumpkins, sweet potatoes, etc., to dry on a thin string and hang to dry. But often the slices slip down to the lowest point, so I've decided to separate them with beads, thinking it should be easy to find something suitable. But nothing is around the house so I may have to buy something. I suppose I could cut up some straws into eighth-inch sections, but...any suggestions for something cheap? Thanks...
I know what you are saying. What I do when drying tomatoes and peppers is to do a reverse stitch. It takes a lot more string but it will keep your stuff from touching each other. I don't know how to explain except to run your needle through the top of the fruit and then run it through the bottom and then through the top again and then run the needle through the top of the next piece.

Reaction score
I found some real thin straws only about 1/16 inch thick, and cut them up (into my hat so they wouldn't bounce all over the place). They work perfectly!

I have tried the reverse stitch but I like to be able to unstring the slices with a single stroke and not fool around with scissors. Problem solved :)

Ask a Question