What to plant with Peonies?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hello, everyone, working on planting a garden to attract butterflies. I have a lot of plants bought but nothing really planted yet. * days of rain. I have 2 beds of peonies which did really well this year but would like to have some other plant blooming in that area later in the season. Does anyone have a suggestion for a plant that would mix well with the peonies? I never cut mine back after they bloom other than flower stems.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Gosh Mrsclem......a bed of peonies. How wonderful and I'm thrilled with my one and only. A bed must be amazing. I don6t cut mine back either. Are yours tall. I dont think I could plant anything under mine. Can you give us a picture please

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I plant alstroemerias, cistus, irises, heurcheras, gaura with them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have a 4x6' & 2x8' bed filled. It would have to be something tall. I was thinking maybe goldenrod.
20180521_163740.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Mrsclem: How about Stipa Gigantea - Golden Oats? It is about 5 to 6 foot tall. Or Salvia Amistad. When my Peony Sarah Berndhart dies down, I always plant petunia on top. They will die in the winter so there is some feature after the peony has died down.

upload_2018-5-22_6-4-3.jpeg

Stipa -elegant and tall

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I have three peony beds in my rather formal garden. Two of the beds have simply a hard edge of grass, with nothing to distract from the peonies. The third and largest bed is edged with Geranium sanguineum 'Elke' otherwise known as Cranesbill.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
working on planting a garden to attract butterflies.

Mrsclem, these are suggestions based on butterflies, you'll have to make sure they work in your hardiness zone! :)

Joe-Pye weed gets up to 6' tall. Phlox paniculata gets up to 4' tall. Anise Hyssop, and some varieties of aster get up to 5' tall. There's also Mexican Sunflowers, Hollyhocks, and some Salvia get tall. Fennel as a host plant. (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! This will be a butterfly garden and hoping to use as many native perennials as possible. The peonies were moved from the front yard and I planted them really too thick but they are doing great this year. I have a lot of the plants suggested just need to get the beds cleared and figure out what goes where.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
I would make a new row of soil in front of the peonies to extend the bed and plant Tall Snapdragons.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hello, everyone, working on planting a garden to attract butterflies. I have a lot of plants bought but nothing really planted yet. * days of rain. I have 2 beds of peonies which did really well this year but would like to have some other plant blooming in that area later in the season. Does anyone have a suggestion for a plant that would mix well with the peonies? I never cut mine back after they bloom other than flower stems.
Honestly, it all really depends on the color of your peonies and what colors you want to compliment them with. But you can use anything that will survive in your zone and the conditions that the peonies are in. Here are a few suggestions:
1) Aquillea (Columbines)
2) Iris
3) Gaura, she's very whimsical
4) Crocosmia
5) Coreopsis

Ask a Question