What to do with my potted plants in the winter

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi there! I have a number of plants on my balcony which have done so well this summer- a rhododendron, hydrangea, geranium, a boxwood shrub and a couple of succulents. I live in British Columbia so general temps are probably 0-10 degrees celcius during the day and sometimes freezing overnight, especially in Nov-Jan. Because I live in an apartment, I can't simply take them into a garage, and because I have a cat (who eats anything he sees) bringing them inside is tougher - so - I'm curious as to which are hardier, which are more fair weathered, and any advice around how to make them inside/winter friendly...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Wondering if a small platic green house would work Steevie. There a compact ones available in hardware stores. Good luck

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I'm pretty sure you could get a small one that would fit on a balcony. I know I've got 2 so worth a look.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Being in a pot they don't have the ground to keep them warm. So you have two problems. First is that the plant may die and second that the pot may break. Without taking them in you really don't have many options. You could try insulating them with rolled insulation or burying them in a large container surrounded by more dirt.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a number of plants on my balcony which have done so well this summer- a rhododendron, hydrangea, geranium, a boxwood shrub and a couple of succulents. ....
I'm curious as to which are hardier, which are more fair weathered, and any advice around how to make them inside/winter friendly...
All are hardy and should give you pleasure next year (if you over winter them with care).
Succulents do not like soggy conditions. So, for those you need to keep them moist but not wet. If you have no room for a mini greenhouse effort (as suggested above), maybe put some canes in the pot and a piece of something waterproof over the canes (a tile? Perspex?)
@mgmine is quite correct, as there is no ground to keep them warm you need to look at your pots and consider insulating them. Wrap the pots in bubble wrap is a great idea and one you should attempt. No bubble wrap? Then think hessian or several layers of newspaper tied with string. Raise your post up on "feet" of some kind so they are not sitting directly on the balcony. Use bricks/shop bought "feet"/stones/terracotta pots etc. This means, if a wet winter happens, the pots can still drain freely and the soil won't be kept waterlogged through lack of drainage. However, this also means you need to keep an eye on them so that they do not dry out: balcony suggest height which suggests you may have issues with wind (which has a drying effect on plants, as well as a scorching one ).
Something to consider is how exposed to wind will they be throughout winter? This also affects how much rain/water they may receive. Hydrangeas like water, succulents less so. Take that into consideration when planning how to arrange your pots to create your micro-climate conditions for surviving the winter ahead. Plants nearest the balcony doors will be marginally warmer than those further from it. Pots nearer the balcony doors may be in a slightly drier position then those further away - only you can know this. Take those thoughts into consideration when moving your pots around for the winter and when insulating them.

Good luck!!!

Gail_68

Beauty blooms in the garden as well as the heart.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
@Steevie double cover them with fleece, i've done some Acers already and my camellia..these covers are good off Amazon only £4-99 for two.

1571405413621.png

Here's my camellia covered with one (y)

IMG_20191012_154859_3.jpg

Ask a Question