What to do with My Amaryllis?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
About a month before Christmas I was given an Amaryllis as a gift. I followed the instructions and now have beautiful flowers growing. As I have never grown these flowers before, I am unsure what I should do with the bulb/plant once the flowers die out. Do they come back every year ? Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
Well i am regrowing last years Amaryllis once its stopped growing you stop watering let it dry out

Then once leaves start to regrow feed with tomatoe feed

Good luck.

Reaction score
About a month before Christmas I was given an Amaryllis as a gift. I followed the instructions and now have beautiful flowers growing. As I have never grown these flowers before, I am unsure what I should do with the bulb/plant once the flowers die out. Do they come back every year ? Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

As I grow amaryllis both indoors and out and have done so for many, many years - hopefully this will help.

After flowering remove the spent flower stem just above the base of the bulb and then so long as the foliage remains green - maintain it by keeping it slightly moist - as well as providing it with plenty of light and giving it the occasional feed until the leaves start to yellow - which is usually around late summer to early autumn.

As the yellowing of the foliage is a sign that it is going into dormancy - stop feeding and watering and then once all the foliage has turned yellow - cut the leaves back to just above the bulb and place in a cool, dry dark place and allow it to rest for at least 6 to 8 weeks - after which time - bring back into the light and start the whole process all over again.

Oh and I would just add that if you want bigger blooms and repeat ones too - its generally better to only re-pot Amaryllis every two to three years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
As I grow amaryllis both indoors and out and have done so for many, many years - hopefully this will help.

After flowering remove the spent flower stem just above the base of the bulb and then so long as the foliage remains green - maintain it by keeping it slightly moist - as well as providing it with plenty of light and giving it the occasional feed until the leaves start to yellow - which is usually around late summer to early autumn.

As the yellowing of the foliage is a sign that it is going into dormancy - stop feeding and watering and then once all the foliage has turned yellow - cut the leaves back to just above the bulb and place in a cool, dry dark place and allow it to rest for at least 6 to 8 weeks - after which time - bring back into the light and start the whole process all over again.

Oh and I would just add that if you want bigger blooms and repeat ones too - its generally better to only re-pot Amaryllis every two to three years.
Thanks so much for your informative response. I will be honest, I had no idea I could regrow them and I'm so glad I can. I have four beautiful blooms now and it will be sad to see them go but I will attempt what you have suggested. I'm not sure I can't wait two years just for bigger blooms though..hehe...I'm sure I will replant the bulb again next Christmas.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your informative response. I will be honest, I had no idea I could regrow them and I'm so glad I can. I have four beautiful blooms now and it will be sad to see them go but I will attempt what you have suggested. I'm not sure I can't wait two years just for bigger blooms though..hehe...I'm sure I will replant the bulb again next Christmas.

You're welcome and like you I too always find it a little sad when they come to the end of their blooming time - especially as they are so beautiful - however now that you know what needs to be done - I feel more than sure that you'll be enjoying seeing yours once again towards the end of the year.

Although as I've already mentioned Amaryllis generally flower better and for longer when a little pot bound - if you do wish to re-pot yours the best time to do that is at the end of the dormancy period - just prior to re-activating it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
You're welcome and like you I too always find it a little sad when they come to the end of their blooming time - especially as they are so beautiful - however now that you know what needs to be done - I feel more than sure that you'll be enjoying seeing yours once again towards the end of the year.

Although as I've already mentioned Amaryllis generally flower better and for longer when a little pot bound - if you do wish to re-pot yours the best time to do that is at the end of the dormancy period - just prior to re-activating it.

Well this morning I had to cut the blooms off at the base of the bulb because they are done. I must say it was rather sad but I do love the green leaves and will continue to take care of them until they are gone too. You have been so helpful and I'm already looking forward to the end of year when it once again bloom :)

Ask a Question