What to do with a flowering Meyer lemon?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My meyer lemon tree enjoyed a sunny summer on our east-facing back porch. Now he's blooming at nearly every branch (for the second time of the season!). As this is my first season caring for plants, I'm excited to see that this little fella seems healthy and happy.

I try to keep from tampering with my plants unless I am sure my activities will help them. That being said, I have allowed the first flowers to drop their petals, yet the center stems remain, looking like strange lollipops. Should I clip these or allow them to eventually fall on their own?

What can I do to encourage this tree to produce fruit?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How old is the tree? Just leave it alone to do its thing. When it's ready to produce it will

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
How old is the tree? Just leave it alone to do its thing. When it's ready to produce it will
purchased this July at a little over a foot tall - not sure of age...

Will do :)

Still open to other instructions or opinions!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
purchased this July at a little over a foot tall - not sure of age...

Will do :)

Still open to other instructions or opinions!
The tree is probably going on 2 years old. Still an immature baby. Give it time. If it's blooming you are doing things right.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The flower buds have a hard green center that turn into lemons after the flower petals drop off.

In case anyone reads this (for posterity I suppose), the flowers bud in tight groups of five or six. After they've opened for a few days they and some o the associated lemon buds will drop off, leaving just a couple to develop into lemons from each branch.

The tree knows what it can support, and it will make the "hard cuts" on its own. A good lesson for me

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
The lollipop stick part will fall 2/3 of the way out. My lemon tree has about 9 of them that already fell off. Don't cut it. It will fall off when it's ready.

Ask a Question