What the heck is this coming up in my Elephant Ears?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi I am new and thought maybe someone here may know what this plant is coming up among my elephant ears. They started out as large pods and now they are flowering. I thought the pods were Elephant Ears but now that it is blooming I see the leaves are quite different!

Attachments

• IMG_2527.JPG
    IMG_2527.JPG
    222.8 KB · Views: 364
Reaction score
Country
United States

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, looks exotic and I have never seen it either!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Agree, Larisa: It's like forget me not which self seeds like mad here.. same as Muscari.. I will stamp on them until the bulbs become pulp.. but next door keeps them as flowers... Life can be very frustrating..

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it a weed? Never seen one before but it looks pretty!:)
They have big beautiful leaves perfect for making bird baths or to just give an exotic look to a shady area. I love mine but I want to put more where they are more protected since a real strong wind can really damage the leaves.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I`ve never seen one of those before, but would love to grow it - especially as it provides leaves to help the birds bathe. I always grow teazels for that purpose. Although the leaves are not huge, they form neat little cups near the stems which hold moisture for the birds.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Giant Butterbur (Petasites japonicus), also known as Sweet Colt's-foot or Fuki, is a robust herbaceous perennial in the Butterweed tribe (Senecioneae) of the Daisy Family (Asteraceae), native to China, Japan, Korea, Sakhalin, and the Russian Far East. The inflorescences emerge first in Spring, followed by the large leaves that persist through Summer before dying back in the Fall. There are a number of other Colt's-Foot (Petasites spp.), but Petasites japonicus has larger leaves than most. Most Petasites are native to Eurasia, and nearby islands such as Great Britain, Ireland, Japan, Sakhalin, and Taiwan. One species (P. pyrenaicus) extends into Algeria and Tunisia, and some forms of Arctic Butterbur (P. frigidus) are common in Canada, Alaska, and the northern half of the U.S.

The leaves themselves do not capture and hold water, so would not serve as a bird-bath. However, I imagine the graceful form of the leaves could serve as a design inspiration for bird-baths constructed of some other material, such as metal, glass, ceramics, etc.

Ask a Question