What size pots for fruit trees?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I have an avocado, pomegranate, and lemon tree. I only want to grow them in containers. How many gallons would suffice in containers? I would like a permanent home container. What would you recommend? Will those smart pots help trim excess roots?

Note: I won't be planting them in the same container. I am looking for 3 separate containers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Are you going to start out with small trees? If so 10 gallon will suffice but in 3 or 4 years you will have to repot them, especially the avacado and pomegranate as they will grow taller faster. The lemon will bush out but will still need a larger container although later. In any case a 20 gallon minimum will be needed if you plan to keep the trees for a long time or until you can plant them into the ground.
You should be able to be successful with the avocado in a container but the pomegranate, if you want fruit, will be a big problem as they will get too big in most circumstances.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I don't have any in ground space because the soil is really bad. It's very shallow and extremely sandy/rocky. It's impossible to work with it. I want to grow them all in containers. Will that be possible?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't have any in ground space because the soil is really bad. It's very shallow and extremely sandy/rocky. It's impossible to work with it. I want to grow them all in containers. Will that be possible?
I was thinking of when you move out of where you live now and take them with you. It's very possible, especially with the lemon. On the avocado it is probable that you will have fruit but you will have to do a lot of judicious pruning to keep it from getting too tall. Plus, even self pollinating avocados do a lot better with 2 of them. On a pomegranate I don't think you will be successful with a fruiting variety because they will get too big. There may be a fruiting dwarf variety but I've never seen one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I actually did find a space for the pomegranet at the end. I had to do some deep digging. The avocado and lemon must stay in containers because now I have 0 ground room.
IMG_3293.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I have no clue. It just said pomegranet and it had 3 flowers and one already fruiting. That was more than enough for me to buy. My grandfather bought us this pomegranet tree from the Middle East, and it hasn't fruited for us once from all the years we had it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have no clue. It just said pomegranet and it had 3 flowers and one already fruiting. That was more than enough for me to buy. My grandfather bought us this pomegranet tree from the Middle East, and it hasn't fruited for us once from all the years we had it.
Most pomegranets are self pollinating but not all. I bet that if your new tree is fairly close to your grandfathers tree it will start to produce fruit too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
It is fairly close, but I can bet it's not the pollination issue. My grandfathers tree doesn't even produce any flowers.

I have a question about the avocado. Do I really need another tree for it? My grandfather has this single avocado tree at his house, and it produces rather well.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My grandfathers tree doesn't even produce any flowers.

Has it ever produced flowers? I don't know much about pomegranates, but I do know that some trees will stop blossoming once they get to a certain age, and often a good pruning will rejuvenate them...:unsure:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is fairly close, but I can bet it's not the pollination issue. My grandfathers tree doesn't even produce any flowers.

I have a question about the avocado. Do I really need another tree for it? My grandfather has this single avocado tree at his house, and it produces rather well.
On average a single avocado tree will produce about 45% of its total fruit without another tree nearby

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

Never?

Ask a Question